Does Honda Accord have rivals?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Definitely a rival back when both cars came out. Too bad Solaras are fat and ugly now.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Maxima, Camry, Mazda 6 are the main competitors that I know of. The mazdaspeed6 competes with the Subaru legacy GT.
Don't think the accord has any street performance rivals, since it's a luxury family sedan, not a sports car. Honda simply makes sporty trims because they know a good chunk of buyers want that in an accord.

And as far as reliability goes, I personally think the boring Camry beats it. Maybe the newer accords are more reliable now, but I've seen more Camrys pass 500k miles than accords. And that's with an original unrebuilt transmission

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
IMO, unreliable transmissions are an indicator of unreliable owners.

When I see a failure maybe my opinion will change!

Umm wrong, don't want to start anything but the 6th gen accord's auto trannies are well documented throughout the internet as being a real question mark after 100,000 miles, even if you've had the regular scheduled maintenance--even in this site dozens of threads about slipping trannies with just over 100,000 miles in some cases less (because they have a design flaw in which the auto trannies have no bolt on pan to access the metal filter, so--the metal screen filter collect particles, heats up the ATF, gear clutches lose friction, and BAM no more reverse and/or slipping/skipping gears, and the only way to fix it is to remove the WHOLE transmission, cause a flush and fill only exacerbates the problem):

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3600447

OR
the well documented failing sensor on the auto trannies that no longer sense when your foot is on the brake pedal thereby preventing you from shifting out of Park, which again requires a complete removal of the transmission to fix.
Look up any of the several threads on this board documenting both issues- you'll see what I mean. I'm sure not all these owners followed the recommended maintenance schedule but I can assure you many of them did, it simply didn't matter.
P.S. I just bought a 99 Nissan Maxima GLE with 350,000 miles on it, and it rides smoother than my Honda with no signs of any leaks at all (unlike my Honda with half the mileage which has an oil leak because the balance shaft seal on the 98-02 4 bangers tends to work its way loose after a while, which is why Honda came out afterwards with a special bracket designed to be installed when you get your timing belt changed to fix that issue, but if you don't get your belt changed at the Honda dealership you might never know you needed one):

http://www.amazon.com/APDTY-Replacement-1998-1999-1990-2002-1995-1998/dp/B00C6KIAR2/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452024241&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=honda+balance+shaft+seal+bracket

The Nissan might blow up on me tomorrow, but it's not showing any signs of doing so whereas the Accord with half the mileage already is. Also, the very first Honda I ever owned, a 2001 Accord sedan 4 cyl 5 speed that I bought brand new years ago, stripped the entire front end of the drive shaft taking the front axles and part of the transmission with it, when the car only had 80,000 miles on it and which had been meticulously maintained by myself. It's only because Honda agreed to fix the entire thing (over $3000 repair job) free of charge and well outside of warranty that I continued to defend them and still can appreciate Hondas as a whole.
I'm not saying any of this to rag on Honda or to try to say they are completely unreliable--but be VERY careful of making absolute blanket statements like you did, cause it's not true at all.

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^Definitely a rival back when both cars came out. Too bad Solaras are fat and ugly now.
The 1st gen looks alright to me, but the current 2nd gen became like a fat 2dr Lexus ES, sort of haha.

I didn't know that the Solara is part of Camry family 'till now.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I personally wouldnt include the maxima in the same category with the Accord.
The maxima has outgrown the accord while the Altima has grown up into the accord category
LOL

And lets not forget the optima which is a nice looking car.
Also the Chrysler 200 which has almost 300HP from their V6 engine

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm just here because Eric is still around posting! :lawl:

I would agree though, the Maxima surpassed the Accord a few Gen's ago.

It would have been nice to see Honda make the Accord more of a performance sedan as well, but, I guess they left it up to the consumer to make the car more fun.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I'm just here because Eric is still around posting! :lawl:

I would agree though, the Maxima surpassed the Accord a few Gen's ago.

It would have been nice to see Honda make the Accord more of a performance sedan as well, but, I guess they left it up to the consumer to make the car more fun.

LOOOOL

Honestly, I dont know WHAT Honda is doing...
When they get a popular car moving in sales, they discontinue it

The CL(CL-S) is gone
The TL(TL-S) is gone
Prelude is gone
S2000 is gone

I mean.....W...T...F

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Chevy Malibu is a competitor. I guess. :lawl:

Would love to see a 6MT or 7MT RWD CLX. Acura should really bring the Type-S badge back, all the manufacturers they want to compete with have sport trims..yet Acura does not. They are emphasizing luxury, but need to focus more on performance too.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
. Acura should really bring the Type-S badge back, all the manufacturers they want to compete with have sport trims..yet Acura does not. They are emphasizing luxury,.

I absolutely agree 100%

If they want to be a strong competitor with Audi R/RS, Lexus-F & BMW M//
They should bring back the S-line

Back