Ways to prolong the life of our AT tranny

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Throw out the cooler? :lolhitting: thats probably the worst thing you could do aside from abusing your trans. Keeping it cool is critical.

I believe he was saying "throw out" as in throwing out the idea for consideration because it could help. I don't think he was saying to forget the idea of a cooler.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^I mean they do have a point. If you just baby the car, I don’t think you need one personally. But it’s not something that will hurt it, really. It’s not going to keep the fluid ice cold, the lubricant will warm up regardless but ultimately the operating temperature is just lower than it would have been otherwise. That’s why there are mixed reviews…it might help, it might not. But it can’t hurt.

Jevik

Reaction score
I think one way to get it lasting longer is to add a filter to one of the lines going to the trans cooler..

Did a lot of reading and there's a couple "debris screens" inside the trans, but no actual filter. I'd guess that by adding a filter, it would catch flakes and clutch material and keep the fluid clean, adding to trans life. Also a shift kit I believe would help prevent slipping between the shifts.

Also, I'm somewhat shocked there are no mods for the transmission out there like there are for a GM auto.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Please go ahead and explain how the idea to add a transmission filter can mean you need a new transmission???

If your "catching flakes and clutch materials" odds are your transmission is about to take a dump

But do explain how a filter will fix the gears, housing, & clutches that have already began to fail?

Jevik

Reaction score
What exactly fails on the auto? I was thinking if the fluid is kept clean it would prolong the life?

I figure as the clutches are used, ie. slipping between shifts as is the nature of autos, the clutch material doesnt just turn to gas. It turns to particles which float through the trans. Hrm, now I wanna take one of these apart....

001Stunna

Reaction score
If your "catching flakes and clutch materials" odds are your transmission is about to take a dump

But do explain how a filter will fix the gears, housing, & clutches that have already began to fail?

So in your mindset we do not need oil filters either then? because if its catching grime the engine is already done and about to take a dump? right?

Amazing logic right there!

Akingkhan

Reaction score
So in your mindset we do not need oil filters either then? because if its catching grime the engine is already done and about to take a dump? right?

Amazing logic right there!

Burnt oil & grime = metal flakes & clutch material????? Wtf

Ok so in your "mindset" your Comparing a motor to a transmission you do know that they do completely different things right?

I'm not arguing that keeping oil clean is good for a motor or transmission.
But once u have flakes of metal in the oil the damage is already done.

A filter isn't miraculously going to put things that are worn out back together!!

But go ahead n keep arguing cuz U know your right in your mindset

Back