Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Accordx

Reaction score
Today I put on the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve I purchased a few weeks ago while I did my oil change. It replaces the old drain bolt on the oil pan, and once you have it on, you just flip a little switch and the oil comes out. Seems real solid, definitely will save you a few minutes getting the old bolt on and off. I will update this thread when I do my next oil change to update you guys on how it works out. I would add a picture but my phone and computer seem to be acting up. Instead, here's the link to check it out, this is the one that fits on the 4cyl 6th gens http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?partname=F-106&partnumber=23

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Cool idea but imo they don't get all of the oil out. The threads stick into the pan leaving dirty oil and shavings. I would rather use a magnetic drain plug. Just my 2 cents.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Convenience factor could be nice. But I think the valve would probably seize over time.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
These usually work quite well over time.

For me, this is something that is only useful though if you are committing to changing your oil much more often, while it's still clear and clean when you drain it.

People I know who use these will go to an autocross event or track day, change the oil at the start of the day, then again at the end of the day. Some people who have drain plugs in inconvenient locations over splash guards, or with inconvenient engine undercovers also like them since you can then use tubing to direct the drained oil away from areas where it will collect, and then drip later, or you can get it into a drain pan easier. The Accord's drain plug has no such issues.

Accordx

Reaction score
Cool idea but imo they don't get all of the oil out. The threads stick into the pan leaving dirty oil and shavings. I would rather use a magnetic drain plug. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I do believe it leaves a thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pan, but I'm good about changing my oil so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Convenience factor could be nice. But I think the valve would probably seize over time.
That's something I'll need to keep an eye on, thanks.

These usually work quite well over time.

For me, this is something that is only useful though if you are committing to changing your oil much more often, while it's still clear and clean when you drain it.

People I know who use these will go to an autocross event or track day, change the oil at the start of the day, then again at the end of the day. Some people who have drain plugs in inconvenient locations over splash guards, or with inconvenient engine undercovers also like them since you can then use tubing to direct the drained oil away from areas where it will collect, and then drip later, or you can get it into a drain pan easier. The Accord's drain plug has no such issues.

My issue was that the previous owner had bottomed out the car multiple times so the oil pan is bent near where the plug goes in so this just makes it a lot easier to direct oil. Also, you have a good point with attaching a hose (which is the plan for my next oil change) hopefully I can just direct it into containers so it's easier to dispose of at the auto store rather than carrying around a drain pan and making a mess of the garage floor :)

umop-apisdn

Reaction score
A Fumoto is a requirement for all the vehicles I own and perform maintenance on.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I see the benefits of this for commercial use, but with lowered cars and the fact that it is either on or off.... I would never trust such a margin of error for something under the car, which has at stake the life juice of our engines. If in the one-millionth chance that it opens when unnecessary for whatever the reason may be (hitting a skunk, stick, etc) and stays open.. You're finished. :goofy_batman:

Get a socket and a pan and suck it up. Take it with a grain of salt though, because from my perspective, I'd rather have 0 margin for error considering the money I have invested in my build..... Not everyone is in my position.

Last edited:

Accordx

Reaction score
I see the benefits of this for commercial use, but with lowered cars and the fact that it is either on or off.... I would never trust such a margin of error for something under the car, which has at stake the life juice of our engines. If in the one-millionth chance that it opens when unnecessary for whatever the reason may be (hitting a skunk, stick, etc) and stays open.. You're finished. :goofy_batman:

Get a socket and a pan and suck it up. Take it with a grain of salt though, because from my perspective, I'd rather have 0 margin for error considering the money I have invested in my build..... Not everyone is in my position.

I understand where you're coming from, but it does have a guard the you can put on to keep it from opening at all in the case that you do scrape it. I have plans to lower my car soon so hopefully everything will be good.

Back