Ceramic Clear Coat

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this product or have experience with it?

opti-coat_pro_plus_paint_protection_1.png

[/What is Opti-Coat?

Opti-Coat is a hard wearing, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H), and surface protection from chemical etching due to environmental impacts.

The Opti-Coat pre-polymer cross links, and forms a continuous protective film on the car's painted surface, similar to a single component isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish.

Opti-Coat has better chemical resistance, scratch and mar resistance, and release properties than any automotive paint protection coating in use. It provides permanent protection for all modern factory paints.
QUOTE]

Further reading: http://opticoat.com.au/opti-coat-pro

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some knowledge on this product. I currently use the consumer version. Opti Gloss Coat. That product only a verified installer can have that product. That is the PRO version. What kinda questions do you have and what answers do you seek Derrick?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I have some knowledge on this product. I currently use the consumer version. Opti Gloss Coat. That product only a verified installer can have that product. That is the PRO version. What kinda questions do you have and what answers do you seek Derek?

Well, I was curious as to how much it costs to have the Pro's put it on instead of regular clear coat.

Also, from what I read, it was a great product, but it has to be done right, so hopefully any pro using it, knows what they are doing.

I found a few shops here that use it, so, I plan to give them a call, as I am curious as to how much they would charge for paint/ceramic clear.

Was also curious as to how it holds up in extreme heat/cold conditions.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever is a verified installer will already passed Optimum's background check. Meaning their work is at a standard where Optimum is able to trust, they are legally doing business as a legitimate company with insurance in case anything goes wrong, and they have passed extensive proper training using and understanding the product.

The pricing is fixed from Optimum to eliminate any competition and under cutting. If I recall the price was 500 just to apply the paint coating and this is the price without any preparation work which is "absolute critical" prior applying the paint coating. Prep work would include paint correction to achieve a finish free from defects and swirls. Once the preparation is done, the coating can then be applied because once the coating is on it will lock in any defects underneath it.

So, you're paying labor for paint correction plus the 500 for the paint coating and warranty it comes with. Be sure to ask what the warranty includes with the fine print.

The product is a 2 step process to apply it. Primer coat and the paint coating. It's durable enough to go through harsh winters. Life span is anywhere from 2-5 years. Please note, this is not a product where it is impenetrable from bird poop or scratches from washing and drying it wrong. I don't want to give off the wrong impression.

It will still require monthly washes to maintain it, and yearly decontamination for upkeep. The pro's of it is that it will making washing it a breeze since contamination does not stick to the paint as easily and whatever damage occurs on the paint it's on the coating and not on the original clear coat. If it requires polishing, you are polishing the defects off the paint coating and not the original clear which preserves as much clear as possible when the clear is already extremely thin from the factory. That is a paint coatings biggest advantage in my point of view.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Thanks, Lem.

I am going to have to check with the places here that do it, and see how much they would charge for paint and applying the ceramic clear coat.

I assume it would have to be all done in the same place.

Still seems like a better product than regular glass clear coat.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Np. Most likely it will be done in the same place after the paintwork is corrected. It wouldn't make sense to drive the car outside and get it dirty then clean it again before applying the product. That's just counter intuitive to me. And, yes, the PRO product is better than the consumer version. I would recommend asking the detailer what are the major differences or unique differences between the two to get a better understanding of it.

Back