Temp Gauge and Radiator fans not working

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Just picked up another 6th gen, 2000 f23a1 with the 5 speed. Didn't realize this until I got home but the water temperature gauge doesn't work, the needle stays stuck below the C.
Also the radiator fans never started running. The passenger side fan runs when the A/C is on but the driver side fan never turned on even after driving for a while.
Radiator fluid level is ok, fuses are ok for both condenser and radiator fans. Figured I'll start by bleeding the fluid to get rid of a possible bubble, then a new thermostat, possibly radiator fluid change.
Any ideas of what the cause and solution could be is greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: Top radiator hose is hot when engine is warm, that would mean the thermostat is working, correct? Perhaps the hoses are clogged and a drain flush and fill will solve the problem.

Last edited:

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Determined the driver side fan motor is blown. Took a fan from an 02 v6 and ghetto rigged it in there, now both fans run with the a/c on.
Also unplugged the ECT sensor and jumped the wire so now both fans are running the whole time the engine is on, better than never running at all.
Coolant temp gauge still doesn't work, I think the cluster was swapped, it has the red needles from an 01-02 and the car is a 00.
Buying a scangauge tomorrow to monitor coolant temp and also a new ect sensor.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If you dare, a bluetooth scanner kicks ***, use 'Torque' on android. My 2nd one died, but they are sweet!

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for the engine coolant temp sensor? Auto zone had one but the wrong size.
Hooked up the scangauge and it was reading the coolant temp at around 170-180 with a max of 208
If I wire the ect sensor to an on/off switch and watch the temp would that be fine for the time being?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
IIRC: the fan switch is separate from the sensor, but either way you gauge is dead when it should say somethin, check your wiring at this point.

timoteo

Reaction score
If you just got the car you may want to check to see if it even has a thermostat. If there is no thermostat then it will always be open and the temp gauge will always stay very low and it will turn on. You never hit vtec until the car gets to operating temperature either. All those poor ponies being lost....

timoteo

Reaction score
If someone was having overheating issues or something this a way they try and mask it

timoteo

Reaction score
o and the fans wont come on till they sense that the car needs to cool down. So until the gauge is working the fans definitely wont work

Back