6GA Coupe Custom LED Retrofit Tail-Lights

FNCONE

Reaction score
Regardless of the lenses being OEM or red tint, using white-emitting lights would look odd when its on, especially those "cool white" ones w/ more than 4000K. "Warm white" might work, but it is always safe to use the red bulbs / LEDs for taillights w/ red lenses.

^Yep, the LED color should always be the same color as the lens. An exception would be if you wanted a clear section of a tail light to illuminate amber. i.e.

But typically always put red light behind a red lens, amber light behind an amber lens, etc.

GOTCHA Guys. Since bdeitemeyer said it wont be worth red LEDS on OEM red lights, I thought the white would show more thru the OEM. Cool.
That 50/50 coupe light looks awesome.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
There must be some confusion then. I didn't remark on anything having to do with the LED color, simply the type of outer taillight lens and how that lens affects the output & clarity.

FNCONE

Reaction score
There must be some confusion then. I didn't remark on anything having to do with the LED color, simply the type of outer taillight lens and how that lens affects the output & clarity.

No confusion, I understood the LED output with OEM red is not that clear. I just figured since Red LEDS wont work that great on OEM red lights (by your comment) Maybe white? I was just throwing ideas. The other folks also discussed RED LED thru tinted red is best for this project. I just thought white would be more clear thru the oem lens. I didn't know better. (none of my lights are LED only interior)

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
No confusion, I understood the LED output with OEM red is not that clear. I just figured since Red LEDS wont work that great on OEM red lights (by your comment) Maybe white? I was just throwing ideas. The other folks also discussed RED LED thru tinted red is best for this project. I just thought white would be more clear thru the oem lens. I didn't know better. (none of my lights are LED only interior)
chris already said this like 2 posts earlier and you quoted it--match LED color with lens color. OEM, tinted, clear, amber, doesn't matter.

source: using all philips DOT certified bulbs in the rear OEM lights of my 8.5G coupe. 7440s for the turn signals/3rd brake light and 7443s for the stop lamps are all red LEDs with red lenses.

FNCONE

Reaction score
chris already said this like 2 posts earlier and you quoted it--match LED color with lens color. OEM, tinted, clear, amber, doesn't matter.

I understand that, I was just throwing ideas out there. I was just trying to see if a white led would have more output (brighter) for the oem red lens. Since a comment was made that the oem lens would not have great output with the leds for a surface mount perimeter look. Just for those using oem lights and wanting the surface lit perimeter look. VS. Buying clear lights and tinted it red. As another comment was made that a clear lens with red tint would allow more output. Which seems to be the better choice for this so far.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i know what you're getting after, its just that LEDs are so much different than incandescents.

you could, theoretically, polish the inside of the lenses to get rid of the flutes like people do in headlights...but that would take an incredible amount of time and effort.

i've been thinking about retrofitting an OEM array into my tail lamps, but it's issues like those which are stopping me.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
In case you ever decided to convert your exterior lights to LEDs, you will need an electronic flasher module to get rid of the hyper-flashing symptom for your blinkers & LED load resistors to get rid of the "famous Brake Lamp" indicator in your gage cluster. Just FYI. ;)

Brad2274

Reaction score
i just remembered i have a spare switchback LED Flexitube from when i did my headlights and i have a corner oem coupe lense with a crack... might as well do some testing, also have some newer camry red leds

Back