Oil Recommendations

slowrider87

Reaction score
Whatever you decide on. Stick with it. Don't try a synthetic then try some different conventional oil, I use mobil 1 5w30 synthetic too. Love it.

whitegourd

Reaction score
My issue is with oil consumption. I use to only add a quart in between changes. Then my cat went out. After getting the cat replaced. I been adding a quart every 500 miles. I had a leak on the cam seal at the time, so I decided to get all my seals replaced along with the timing belt maintenance. It still seems to be consuming quite a but of oil. So I'm now researching what the best choice of HM oil would be. I'm rolling close to180.

Last edited:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
My issue is with oil consumption. I use to only add a quart in between changes. Then my cat went out. After getting the cat replaced. I been adding a quart every 500 miles. I had a leak on the cam seal at the time, so I decided to get all my seals replaced along with the timing belt maintenance. It still seems to be consuming quite a but of oil. So I'm now researching what the best choice of HM oil would be. I'm rolling close to180.

If you're burning that much oil, changing to a high mileage oil probably isn't going to help much. You, more than likely, have internal problems as mentioned above.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
heavier oil would decrease the oil consumption

and dun use synthetic when u r burner oil cos synthetic burns faster than dino oil

Jecht

Reaction score
Whatever you decide on. Stick with it. Don't try a synthetic then try some different conventional oil, I use mobil 1 5w30 synthetic too. Love it.
Well that's just not true. Maybe go over to bobistheoilguy.com. I have switch my truck from conventional to syn and back many times. My Accord with over 180,000 miles on it. I put syn in it and no leaks nothing. Its a common myth that if you run one for awhile you cant switch to the other during the life of your engine. Heck they make blended oils. So Whats your take on that?

slowrider87

Reaction score
I took a look around that site. Scrolled through 25ish pages of the forum, looked through most of the article topics. Nothing. No relevant postings on this topic were obviously available. Or maybe i missed it. Being a site dedicated to everything oil i'm sure they're on there somewhere, but after coming up dry on a topic that I think would be discussed a lot on an oil forum I gave up. If there is a search field or button anywhere on that site then it's not available to non-members. I'd like to read whatever articles or threads you read that have made you so certain that "That's just not true". You shared your experience and used the word "Myth" so perhaps i'm not seeing it but you didn't offer much evidence that it's not.

Now, as for my take on that? It's simple. It's "That's your experience". I know a couple people who have not had problems. And I know several others who have had quite different experiences including myself. It took about 4 changes and putting 20k more on the car to see effects.

Blended oils? That's hardly the point.

Switching back and forth isn't really affecting the engine and its most solid parts. As long as they are lubricated they are good to go. The point is the seals/gaskets in the engine. After thousands of cycles of expansion and contraction caused by the engine heating up and cooling off the seals/gaskets they absorb (even if only trace amounts) some of the additives and moisture of the oils used and grow accustomed to that chemical make up and additives in whatever type of oil you use regardless of it being synthetic, conventional, or a blend.

Its basic knowledge that synthetics use different additives and have a different chemical make up than conventional oils. Switching it back and forth confuses (for lack of a better word) the seals/gaskets and in time almost always leads to some kind of deterioration the seals/gaskets.

Now, getting more on your page. You're not entirely wrong for jumping on the "It's all a myth" bandwagon. For some seals/gaskets it's not as much of an issue. Not all seals/gaskets are made using the same compounds or materials. Some materials resist deterioration better than others. Some materials may never deteriorate enough to cause a problem. And if it does It may take so long that you would most likely blame it on being old. It's certainly not an over night process.

You've obviously researched this subject some too. But I feel you may have stopped a little short. I have done my fair share of research on this in school and in my own time because, like many before me, i was curious if it was really an issue too. After learning about all the different additives and complex sciences that goes into something that the average person likely views as "just oil", I wouldn't consider the chemical engineering that goes into the oils we use and their different effects on various parts to be a "myth".

Summary: Will switching back and forth cause problems? Maybe, maybe not. Does the possibility exist? Yes.

Last edited:

Jecht

Reaction score
Most of the issues of leaking seals comes from the fact that the seals had the leak to begin with. We all know conventional oils in lack for a better term crude. SO many of your seals that would have leaks are clogged up by the impurities. Its a known fact syn has a natural cleaning agent in it and when it get to these areas on the seal it cleans out all that gunk around the seals and this is where a majority of leaks comes from. I will have to get on that website and look for the posts. Almost all the times when a person gets a leak from switching to syn from a long run with dino its because they was slacking on their oil changes and the problem was there to begin with. Its natural to blame the syn as no one want to take blame for how poor of a condition their engine is in.,

SO maybe I should of said if you kept up with your regular dino oil changes then you should have no problems with switching to syn. If you go a long time between oil changes then maybe syn isnt the best choice but never heard of seals getting use to one type of oil as even all dino oils are made differently with different additive packs. SO this learning of an oil I never heard of. I will look on the site and see if I can find the topics.

Sure the possibilities exist but its the same switching from one brand of dino oil to brand of dino.

slowrider87

Reaction score
Makes sense to me. "Even all dino oils are made differently with different additive packs". That is one fact thing that originally got me interested in how it all affects things. The term "Crude" is a good way of putting that though. Always adding new things to my knowledge bank here.

Last edited:

Jecht

Reaction score
I think you would like that site if your looking in working in that field. So dont think I was trying to pick a fight. I have told many of my friends not to use syn as I seen the condition of their engines. I wont put it in my wifes malibu as she has a few weeping seals. I know I put syn in there and it will clean the crud thats keeping it from being a full on leak. I put it in my accord I got which has over 180,000 miles on it. Because the engine was very clean. It had no leaks and looking in the oil cap the head was perfectly clean looked like the engine was brand new. No varnish sluge nothing.

I will admit I dont know a lot about oil and so on. On that site they have people that works in the lubrication field. Even had a guy that worked for Pennzoil. So lots of good info on that site. I would suggest anyone who has an oil question to go to that site. Its a great place to get answers they are looking for.

Safe bet if you are afraid to add syn after running dino so long. To run a blended oil and see how it goes for awhile. A good one is motocraft oil. Seen it ran in many different engines with the owners liking it.

Like I have been told SYN dont cause problems. It shows the problems that was already there but was hidden:D

Back