Ok, started my led project, here are some pics

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
talontsiawd said:
Yeah, that looks cool but it's a bit much for me.

i hear u there... im still debating it... more than likely wont get em just cuz it is so pricey for a few lights

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, i got my third or fourth email and have had numorous pm's regaurding some things and i really had to add this....

Disclaimer-You can really mess up your needles here if you are not careful. Be sure you have some idea of how to get your needles right afterwards before your proceed

I put that on the page where i explain how to take of the needles as well. You don't want to ruin your cluster of some LEDS. Especially because with other colors, you don't have to deal with the needles at all.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I hope the person who e-mailed me this morning doesn't mind me posting the response i sent him:

Getting the gauges right...I used something that is probably a bit to expensive solely to get your gauges right. I used a datalogger from pocketlogger.com. It's a good investment if you plan to tune your car with an SAFC, what it's really for. I had it for my previous car. Anyway, it lets you see various parameters of your car. Including speed and rpms. So i basically put my car on cruise control at 40 mph and stuck the needles on. Even this way will take acouple of tries. Plus, be careful, use a back road, etc, etc, etc. You don't want to wreak your car calibrating your needles, or possibly hurt or kill yourself.

A way i've done it in the past before i had my logger. With the tach...Just rev your car to the redline and stick it on at the rev limiter. Your neighbors will hate you but it works. Again, it might take accouple tries. Just make sure that it hits the redline but also the idle is right. You can do the reverse too and set it at idle, then see if it hits the rev limiter right. This should get you close enough to where you are within 100 rpm or so. Plus you can do it in your driveway or a parking lot.

Then for the speedo, this is hard to get perfect with no logger. I've only gotten close, within 2-3mph. I write down before hand what speed i'm going in a certain gear at a certain rpm. I can let you know if you have a 5spd, if you are auto, it's going to be different. Just ask on a forum. Then, if you have any of those signs around town with radar that tell you your speed, drive by one and compare. The one thing they are good for. Not really the best way to do it though, a logger is much better.

Anyway, I really recommend you get a datalogger if you can afford it. It's going to be easy and you have a quick reference you know is right. If you plan on tuning your car, it's a valuable instrument. It will also tell you check engine codes on any OBDII cars which can actually make it's money back compared to taking it to the dealer or somewhere to check the code. Unfortuanately, it's $125 not including the cost of a palm pilot to go alot with it.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Lastly, i really don't think you are going to get it as close as you want to without a logger. If anyone plans to do this, or buy indiglos, i recommend this: Either buy a logger and rent it out to other people for thier projects or get like 10 people together before you start, split up the cost, and ship it around. I'd actually volunteer mine as the "6th gen community logger" but unfortunately i sold mine. Outside of this project i had little need for it after selling my last car. It is a great tool, i recommend it for a variety of things, it's just expensive for just this purpose.

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
ok i did the led conversion and everything came out fine...except the needles aren't moving flawlessly, it's like they're crippled! it's like when i come to a complete stop, the speedo needle takes like 2 whole seconds to cripple down to 0 mph...i'm sure it's the little motors that the needles pop into.

have this happened to anyone who has taken out their needles? i'm planning on visiting my local honda dealer for new motors...

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Could be the gage face raising up? I know it's common on after market faces, could be happening with your OEM if you took it off and reapplied it.

I4 CG5

Reaction score
^^That's what happened to me and my white faced gauges, but my speedo would get stuck at around 15mph

Roadrage

Reaction score
Umm there is a special tool to take the needles out of the car...if you just went and plucked them out...you are screwed!!!!...im on my 2nd instrument cluster!! I had do buy mine from the dealship...500 dollars that was in 2003. perhaps the price went down some. But that is a no no if you did that.

Back