what is this damaged part?

cl206

Reaction score
Hi I was changing my oil today and noticed both shock absorbers had similar damages as shown below. What is this torn part and how big of a deal is this? BTW i just checked and oem front shock/coil assemblies are like 377 each side. WTF. Rockauto has monroe or moog for like 100. I might not change it if this is not a big deal. Car drives fine with no excessive bounce but there is some sound once in a while (which might be the ball joints, another issue lol)
Thanks for any comments.

Accordx

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I had something similar to this on my car and I didn't notice until I was replacing my front shocks/struts. It was only on one side I believe. My shocks were functioning fine but I was replacing them anyway. Probably safest to replace them though since I'm not exactly sure why it's split like that. I got Monroe econo-matic front struts off of RockAuto. If you do decide to get replacements off of their site I'm pretty sure there's a 5% discount code on the forum somewhere

cl206

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I had something similar to this on my car and I didn't notice until I was replacing my front shocks/struts. It was only on one side I believe. My shocks were functioning fine but I was replacing them anyway. Probably safest to replace them though since I'm not exactly sure why it's split like that. I got Monroe econo-matic front struts off of RockAuto. If you do decide to get replacements off of their site I'm pretty sure there's a 5% discount code on the forum somewhere

Yep I regularly order off Rockauto. Love them. I can't believe the OEM full set was so expensive. Looks fairly easy to change but I wanted to make sure before swapping out. Why did you change yours then in the first place?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
that looks like it's the dust boot. its main function is to keep road grime off of the piston shaft for the shock. it's cheap and you could replace it on your own if it really bothers you. i honestly think you'd be fine with or without it. it's really your call. a lot of coilovers and aftermarket shock/lowering spring combos don't have dust boots, and they seem to function just fine without them.

cl206

Reaction score
that looks like it's the dust boot. its main function is to keep road grime off of the piston shaft for the shock. it's cheap and you could replace it on your own if it really bothers you. i honestly think you'd be fine with or without it. it's really your call. a lot of coilovers and aftermarket shock/lowering spring combos don't have dust boots, and they seem to function just fine without them.

As long as it isn't a dangerous thing, Ill let it be, I don't mind the look lol.
Thanks.

Accordx

Reaction score
Yep I regularly order off Rockauto. Love them. I can't believe the OEM full set was so expensive. Looks fairly easy to change but I wanted to make sure before swapping out. Why did you change yours then in the first place?

I was replacing them since they were the original ones from the factory. I figured my car could use a new set. Also I figured if I was gonna go with a lowering spring/coilover sleeve option it would probably be best to have them set up on a new assembly. Changed my mind about lowering my car with those since then.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Looks to me like a "bump stop" inside of a torn or cut dust boot? Normally the little rubber sleeves are the "dust boot" that acts like a shield that helps keeps water and dirt from entering the shaft area. Either way it looks to be old and crusty from the pictures, most newer shocks may not come with dust boots or bump stops for that matter, but the dust covers do help keep the weather elements out of the shaft seal ,which is what you want, I do not know any one who would not want to prolong the life of their shock absorber.

Will they work without them? OF COURSE, but with sacrificed longevity. I personally use them on ALL my daily drivers, the thought of dirt and water possibly pushing past a shaft seal after repeated abuse and use does not entertain me in a positive manner, not for the kind of money we all spend on these cars, we are talking a extra 20-25 bucks on a suspension that cost hundreds to begin with.

Now that I think about it, even my Fortune Auto Coilovers came with them and those go on track cars for the most part, so obviously there is a benefit or all these engineering companies would not be using them on their cars and on their performance products which lay down record lap times.

cl206

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Its driving fine and it is not my daily driver so we'll see. I might just get the monroes off rockauto and call it a day.

Back