THE Tire Review Thread

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Brand & model & size Kumho ASX 215/45/17 500AA
Price Paid- Came with a tire package from JLBmotorsports.
Pros-Handles ok in the dry weather. HAndles well in the rain.
Cons-When Any hard or sudden lateral movement is put on the car in the rain/dry the tires feel very squishy. MOST IMPORTANTLY, these tires suck if you have negative camber. I have about 4k miles on the rims, and the tires are showing sign of bad wear already. (but i can dropped close to 3 inches)
Also, theride is much more rougher with these tires compared to other high end tires like bridgestone or dunlop.
Final verdict-Wouldnt get it them again.

kurtage77

Reaction score
Brand & model & size - Definity VX800 205/60/16
Price paid, Mileage - $250 w/mount and balance. 5,xxx miles
Pros
- Great traction wet or dry
- Tread looks better than an average tire IMO
- Little to no road noise
- Can't say much about tread wear just yet
Cons
- Slightly bigger side wall than other same sized tires
- Side wall is also nothing special to look at
Final verdict - I give it an 8/10 mostly because of looks, but the tire performs and handles very well. I would buy this tire again if it looked a little more sportier.

Brand & model & size - Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/60/16
Price paid, Mileage
- $156 shipped from Discounttiredirect.com
- only put 2,xxx miles on these
Pros
- Handling/traction is decent
- 65,000 mile warranty
- Tread looks really sporty
- Side wall looks great also and has a slightly lower profile than other tires of the same size
- Also can't say much about tread wear yet
Cons
- Waaaay too much road noise, esp from 40-50mph.
When I first drove with them, there wasn't much noise,
but it only gets worse and worse and I've only had these for about 2 months.
^ my friend asked if that was my exhaust making the humming noise.
....I haz stock.
- Traction on wet roads could be a little better.
Final verdict - 6/10 This tire is entirely too loud and now i'm gonna be stuck with them for a while, BUT they do look very nice and have pretty good traction. I still wouldn't buy these again because of the amounts of road noise.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Maxxis MA-Z1 225/45R17 High Performance Passenger Tire UTQG 280 AA A
Price paid, Mileage
These tires are a great bargain for their cost. They retail for about 140$ Canadian, a few dollars more than Nankang, and Cheaper than the Falken-ZE912 by about 20$. I've had these for approx. 8,000 miles, including track days.

Pros

EXCELLENT Rain Performance!! I've used these tires on the track all year long and I absolutely love them in the rain... loads of grip in standing water!! Dry Performance is the same as any other street tire, perfect for normal daily driving and some spirited routes. I've used these for about 800 miles ON TRACK and they hold up pretty well for a street tire.

Cons

None... except if you track your car... after a hard session on a really hot day they get a bit greasy, but not as greasy as the Toyo T1R.

Final verdict

IF your on a budget, and you are looking at Wanli, Ling Long, Nankang and other cheap tires, look at the Maxxis. They are pretty cheap but they do an amazing job. Maxxis Tires are typically a wider tire. They don't measure shoulder to shoulder, they measure tread suface. As such their 225/45R17 is almost as wide as a 245 series tire.

I've just bought my 2nd set for next year... maybe even a dedicated set for the rain at the track.

wheels_maxxis_650x400.gif

russiansohcf23

Reaction score
Brand & model & size - Michelin Primacy MXV4 195/65/15 All Season

Price paid, Mileage
- Each tire was about $121 at Costco (WHAT A RIPOFF) plus installation and road hazard. Mileage: 18,000 miles.

Pros - The nice thing about them is that they are relatively quiet, they handle pretty good for an all-season tire. Rain performance is amazing I hardly never hydroplane at all. The steering response is excellent, very easy to turn the steering wheel. I let my friend (BMW fanantic) drive the car on a road trip to NC and he was shocked on how easy it was to turn the steering wheel. Ohh and 620 tread too.

Cons - WAYYYYY to expensive for a tire, tires squeal way too much if tight turns are taken. After my road trip to North Carolina and experiencing ice and snow I can tell you that they do pretty well in snow but ice is alittle iffy.

Final verdict - If you need a set of tires for everyday driving with comfort and some performance then go for them. I cant purchase another set of these due to the price of them. My next tires will either be; Fuzion, Nexen, Kumho, Generals or Goodyears

mi_primacy_mxv4_1000.jpg

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
YOKOHAMA Avid V4S All-Season V Rated 205-55-16

PRICE
Paid about $85 per tire back in 2005 from TireRack.com. 40k miles on them with about 10k miles of treadlife left.

PROS
Good treadlife. Good dry traction for a 500UTQG treadwear rating. Good rain traction but, since it is a 500UTQG rating, they will break loose on wet sharp curves at low speed. Never hydroplaned and felt confident driving in normal rain. Nice sidewall stiffness. Nice tread design. Treadwear has been even on all four tires. No cupping or funny wear.

CONS
Maybe the road noise, since they are a directional tire. I have a loud exhaust, so I can't really give a good review for the road noise.

FINAL VERDICT
Yes, I would buy these again. I'm dropped 2 inches on Eibach Sportlines with OEM 16 inch wheels, so I have had no issues with camber wear. Currently, the price for the size I used is $96 at TireRack.com.

yo_avid_v4s_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
Brand & model & size - Kelly Navigator Touring Gold (Premium Ride Comfort & All Season Performance tires)
Price paid, Mileage - $425 installed
Pros - Considerably quieter than the Yokohama tires I had, deep tread pattern (From their website: Quiet ride, even wear and long tire life. . Performance-like handing.)
Cons - Doesn't look aggressive, if that's important to you.
Final verdict - For stock replacement so far so good.

juicebox00

Reaction score
Brand & model & size - Falken Zeix 912's 205/60/15
Price paid, Mileage - $248 mounted and balanced new
Pros - was cheap for a okay quality tire
Cons - 480 tread wear so it's not the grip i'm looking for, but they'll last longer than 2 months like my last pair with 300 tread wear
Final verdict - Only buy these if you want some tires with okay performance but decent everywhere else.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Brand & model & size - Kumho Ecsta 711 215/45/17
Price paid, Mileage - Got it for mad cheap... About 20k.
Pros - Good tread with rim protector.
Cons - Both rear tires started to get bumps and got really noisy while driving normally and especially on the highway.
Final verdict - Would you buy the tire again? Probably not.

Last edited:

cajun

Reaction score
Brand & model & size - Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, OEM 15" size
Price paid, Mileage - $400 w/mount, balance and road hazard, 37K.

Pros
- Great traction wet or dry, we don't get much snow/ice here, so can't say.
- Shows a lot of tread left after 37K miles
- Supposed to be more "comfortable" vs. other tires. I have no idea if that is true or not. The ride is as good or better vs. the stock Michelins.
- Less road noise vs. the Michelins.
Cons
- The car handles well enough on them, but this isn't a sport tire.

Final verdict - If you're looking for a tire that is reasonably priced, will last through many tens of thousands of miles and is a decent performer, this is a good choice. If you want a handling monster look elsewhere.

turbo_911

Reaction score
General Exclaim UHP All-season 225/40/18
Price paid, Mileage - $90 a tire, 8,000 miles
Pros - Liked the design, cheap, handles really well in rain and in dry weather
Cons - Front 2 tires were down after 7,000 miles. Back still have 5/32 thread left. Loud on highway. No traction in snow/ice what-so-ever. Wear down really quick. Also it says they are all-season, but I don't think so, felt like summer tire.
Final verdict - Nope, would not buy them again. They are also discontinued and were only produced for 1 year lol.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) 225/40/18
Price paid, Mileage - really cheap since my generals were done, I got warrantied and got discount. So far drove 1,200 miles
Pros - Liked the design, handles really well in snow and icy conditions. Same with rain/dry weather. Really quiet on highway.
Cons - Side wall is a bit soft otherwise no cons...
Final verdict - So far I like them, we'll see how they last.

Last edited:
Back