Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > General > Off Topic > Life Lessons

Life Lessons Members discussing how to deal with aspects of the daily grind

Register to remove these ads

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM
Points: 1,464, Level: 10 Points: 1,464, Level: 10 Points: 1,464, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

J0hnalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Member Photo Albums
Re: Need help to catch a Scammer in CT

Good luck man, sounds like a shi tty situation! Keep us in the loop
Old 04-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1

Reflectbeats is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. I have most my family in Boston who are cops. Idk if that helps or not but maybe they know somebody that knows somebody lol
Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 26 Points: 7,991, Level: 26 Points: 7,991, Level: 26

james'99 is more helpful than most

Originally Posted by Reflectbeats View Post
Good luck. I have most my family in Boston who are cops. Idk if that helps or not but maybe they know somebody that knows somebody lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOGexYB4ts
Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Points: 7,417, Level: 25 Points: 7,417, Level: 25 Points: 7,417, Level: 25

tknightt is somewhat reliable

well just got off the phone with paypal and turns out they "mis-informed" me last time, the buyer is not REQUIRED to send the item back, they simply request that he does but they can't force him to because the refund originated from the credit card and not ebay.

So I'm back to square 1. The guy got a full refund and a complete supercharger that he gets to keep.

so if anyone lives in or around East Hartford, CT I'd really love some help, that is 2 000$ + the cost of shipping
Completed TL dash swap #4
Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Points: 5,456, Level: 21 Points: 5,456, Level: 21 Points: 5,456, Level: 21

bairdandrew77 is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can think of at this point is see if you can find a car page on Facebook or something and try getting someone there to help you out. I love to help but I'm nowhere near that state.
I feel like the scammer knows what he's doing and did this multiple times already. The supercharger is probably also in perfect working order since he didn't have to prove anything
Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Points: 6,304, Level: 23 Points: 6,304, Level: 23 Points: 6,304, Level: 23

Varnell is somewhat reliable

I don't understand why he's not required to send it back. I can't think of many active members from CT. Have you tried any other car forums. I'd ask around Zilvia. They get lots of traffic around the country and from all types of cars.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 26 Points: 7,991, Level: 26 Points: 7,991, Level: 26

james'99 is more helpful than most

Take it up with paypal again. Say, I want my ****. He says its broken, why does he need it?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Points: 1,387, Level: 10 Points: 1,387, Level: 10 Points: 1,387, Level: 10

rooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tknightt View Post
Hi everyone, I need the help of the Accord community once again.

here's the story (skip to the end if you don't want to read the whole thing):
I bought a J32 Supercharger for a 2002-2003 Acura TL last October. I decided to sell it on ebay. I received an offer within a week and sold it. Right from the get-go I was a bit apprehensive because did buyer had no feedback whatsoever. I tried contacting him to make sure he knew that what he was getting was not a new supercharger but a used one. Unfortunately he did not respond to my messages, and since I am required as a seller to ship within an alloted timeframe to maintain power seller status and payment had been received I decided to ship.

As soon as the buyer received the items he calls me up saying it's missing parts for the install, I proceed to explain over the phone that this was NOT a full kit it was a supercharger with most of the hardware but definitely not a full kit. After long discussions over the phone and text messages, he tells me it's going to cost him 500$ to have the "missing" parts fabricated, so as a gesture of good faith I offer to refund him 250$ from him purchase, to which he agreed.

3 months later (mid january), I receive an email from him with only a subject line that says the supercharger is junk because the bearing is blown out because of an oil leak and to call him. I ignored the email since it was clearly indicated in my ebay listing "Supercharger was working when pulled, but item is sold AS-IS".

The following week I get a message from paypal that the buyer filed a chargeback on this purchase because the item was "not as described". I proceeded to supply paypal with all the pictures, the copy of the ebay listing and any relevant information I had. It took and additional month for paypal to review the info to which they answered that they would unfreeze the funds in my paypal account while they dispute the claim. This took another 2 months. Now a few days ago paypal comes back to me and says the credit card company sided with their client (what a shock) and they withdrew the full purchase price from my account.

This supercharger was pulled by a performance shop and was working when pulled. So here's what I suspect happened, the buyer improperly installed it, basically destroyed the unit and as a result wants his money back.

----
This is where I need help

This scammer lives in East Hartford, CT. I'm looking for a fellow Member that lives in that area that would not mind doing some snooping for me, ie validate that he does own a TL and maybe even go as far as engage in conversation and eventually snap a picture of his setup and if indeed he has or has not installed it.

I know I am asking alot, I'm down to my last ressort.

This person has scammed me out of almost 2000$, any help is appreciated
Hey dude, sorry to read your disappointments but it was no scam because the buyer used whats called consumer rights on you. It all break down to the product as seen on the eBay listing was not what he received. Sounds weird but they use this strategy all the time to keep the product and get their money back. There is a word for it but i'm no eCommerce lawyer i'm just a average Joe. Notice when a seller on eBay is selling something they write about every nook and cranny so that the buyer don't call up the credit card company to file a frauds claims. The buyer used a credit card because he/she know its secured meaning any problem like he complained about their guaranteed a refund even if you or Paypal likes it or not. Next time learn the laws of eCommerce before you run off on eBay looking for a sale. That's why I don't bother to sell online because the **** you lose to please people. How many times people receive online items in good condition then damage it, call up AMAZON file a complain, receive another one for free plus their money back just to not get a bad review.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 AM
Points: 1,387, Level: 10 Points: 1,387, Level: 10 Points: 1,387, Level: 10

rooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Paypal has nothing to do with these problem they only safely secure online money transaction. Banks don't like paying money so small vendor like you with middle man Paypal= you lose. Go seek out some litigation advice, consultant because 2000 dollars + lawyer fee =1000 leaving you with a 1000 dollars from the nightmare of the sale. Go for it you will win if your write on here is not false about the listing.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Points: 7,417, Level: 25 Points: 7,417, Level: 25 Points: 7,417, Level: 25

tknightt is somewhat reliable

Just so I'm clear, I was not running off on eBay looking for a sale as you put it. I have sold considerably on ebay, more than 100 transaction per year (only counting sold items). I have 100% feedback score. But unfortunately there is nothing more I can do in this situation. The costs involved in trying to retrieve my money would outweigh the return. I'm going to have to chuck this one in the "live and learn" pile. NEVER EVER ship an item to a buyer with 0 feedback if you don't get a reply to your messages.
Completed TL dash swap #4

Last edited by tknightt; 08-11-2015 at 08:33 AM.