Did I pay too much? (calipers, rotors, pads)

FNCONE

Reaction score
Switch mechanics or bring in your own parts next time.
Even better learn to do it yourself that's a pretty easy job

whitederic

Reaction score
Doing it yourself is fun. My front rotors and pads will be in Wednesday so I'll be installing them Saturday

james'99

Reaction score
Calipers & Pads = $302
Rotors = $147
Supplies = $12
Labor = $163

You can get $30 aftermarket rotors. Nothing special about the rear rotors.

Honda rotors are $70 a piece for the rear. I think his calipers were a bit over priced unless all OEM?

I'd expect to pay that price at Honda honestly for that job.

But here's the thing... You didn't go to Honda.

May I ask what the issue with the calipers was?

And yes, this is an EASY job. Eric the Car Guy even has a video on it! On a 6th Gen Accord!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kf8C4Qxu-A

Last edited:

Intentional

Reaction score
I was told both rear calipers seized up due to rust, which then led to my pads and rotors going bad. It was making a terrible metal on metal grinding sound until I got it replaced.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
I don't know... Doesn't sound like the greatest reason. I suppose it could happen but in most cases its fixable and still, in any case, they costed you too much I think.

I have had pins sieze and I've broken em loose, sanded 'em, wire brushed the holes and have been good to go.

Intentional

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a gut feeling they slightly overcharged me. Oh well, I learned my lesson. I appreciate the responses everyone.

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
I spent $98 a piece for remanufactured calipers and $100 for four slotted/drilled rotors from Summit Racing. $163 for labor is roughly 2.5 hours which isn't entirely unreasonable. It's certainly not fast, but considering they may have spent time diagnosing any possible issues it's not impossible. $500 would have been a fairer price.

I'd also suggest learning to work on your brakes. It's all fairly easy and youtube diy channels are invaluable. When you're tight on cash you might impress yourself with the diy projects you can accomplish.

james'99

Reaction score
i spent $98 a piece for remanufactured calipers and $100 for four slotted/drilled rotors from summit racing. $163 for labor is roughly 2.5 hours which isn't entirely unreasonable. It's certainly not fast, but considering they may have spent time diagnosing any possible issues it's not impossible. $500 would have been a fairer price.

I'd also suggest learning to work on your brakes. It's all fairly easy and youtube diy channels are invaluable. When you're tight on cash you might impress yourself with the diy projects you can accomplish.

+1

xci.ed6

Reaction score
check your price of parts at car-part.com

Then for labor they usually charge 2.0hr, plus replacing calipers labor.

Back