new speaker recomendations

mikeivb

Reaction score
Components with amp or just coaxils?

The best bang for the buck IMO is the Phoenix Gold 6.5: Components. $60 and they have some good sound quality

is there a specific model? or is there only one type of phoniex gold 6.5 components?

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
crutchfield is really high. You need to go to bestbuy and ask them if they have any returns. I am a MECP certified tech. and worked at BB for a few years. They sometimes get people who buy stuff then return it without using it. These items cannot be sold at new prices, especially if the box has been opened. You can occasionally get a deal. If you want a deck that lasts long, go with sony or apline. If you want the best quality speaker (any size) buy infinity.

xx24xx

Reaction score
The best advice I CAN give you is to visit your local audio stores and have a listen to what you like. You may be satisfied with mainstream stuff. When you buy from brick and mortar stores you support the business and get warranty. A lot of good shops might not give you the cheapest price on the internet but thats because you pay for a service. If you're a repeat customer then I'm sure eventually you get good deals.

The AQ comps I recommended earlier seem like an ideal set of speakers for you. The amp that Swollen added would be great. The comps will work off deck power. Save $240 for the amp later.

Last edited:

dametalone

Reaction score
to answer some questions above....i mainly listen to hard rock/metal. I have done speaker jobs before but never messed with components. What exactly is a component and what goes into putting those in? I dont want to spend more then $200 for speakers

eDub

Reaction score
I'd say go with a nice set of components to start and maybe down the line if you decide to get an amp you'll already have a nice set up front to build from. the reason i say go components is because of its ability to better handle frequencies and the fact you can choose where the tweeter goes and how its angled to get a nice sound-stage in your car!

xx24xx

Reaction score
Basically the big difference between components and coaxils is that components are all seperate parts but coaxils are a all-in-one set. With components you have the mid range driver, tweeter and usually a crossover. This allows you to mount the tweeter at a different location and lets you tweak the crossover to ensure you don't phase out the good stuff. A coaxil is just a cheap alternative. Go to a store and have a listen to the difference. I'm willing to bet a component set sounds MUCH better because it has more head room and the drivers are playing frequencies they are supposed to be.

silent1999

Reaction score
I have had phoenix gold, pioneer, infinity and now polk audio. For me the phoenix gold had the best bass response, the pioneers were kinda bright and hollow sounding, and the infinity's would distort even with an amp. So far the polk audio (basic series) in the front and the polk momo's in the rear deck are the best sounding as far as mids and highs are concerned. The 6x9's lack midrange, but the 6 1/2's pick that up real quick. The highs are smooth and detailed and the voice really cuts through the 2 12's in the trunk. Perfect sounding system except my sound stage is kinda centered low in the vehicle. Do your research and get some time listening to the various brands out there. Just my .02!

xx24xx

Reaction score
If you wanna stay within your budget check out woofersetcdotcom and look at CDT specials. I'd also recommend getting speaker rings to fit the speakers and upgrading your factory wiring. There is a CDT component set that has an adapter that mounts to the mid's cone. Don't crank up the speakers on your deck because you will clip the **** outta them.

Inline4

Reaction score
I just put all infinity speakers in my coupe (kappa series ftw) ran a 4ch alpine amp to them and they sound great. bass response is excellent, i dont hear any distortion even when i crank it up.
my best advice to you, get a best friend that works a best buy and get stuff cheap, best buy is going to be carryin kicker and polk soon so get on it

Back