DIY Main Relay Repair (Intermittent starting issues)

low430

Reaction score
I am an only a humble engineering student. In no way do I claim to be an expert.
I compiled this after completing my own successfull repair.
I was tired of my car randomly not starting from heat and tired of getting stranded and having to wait with my doors open.

Symtoms: Car not starting during hot weather, Intermittent starting issues. Car will start sputter then die.
Car will crank over but not fire due to no fuel.

The Problem: Over time the solders on the main relay become fatigued from heat cycling, this will cause your car to randomly not start, after waiting it may run but the problem will return, usually it gets worse over time. basically the main relay sends power to the fuel pump when the ignition key is turned on. If the relay is failing the fuel pump may not receive power thus your car will crank but not fire.

Replacing the relay is also known to fix the problem but some have reported bad solders on their new replacement parts. Some have said their replacements have higher quality solders. It all depends on which part you get. So the sure easy way to fix it, Solder it yourself or have someone else solder it for you.

As with all intricate work use common sense and think twice act once.

Use at your own risk.
Tools Needed:
Soldering Iron,
Solder
10 MM ratchet
Butter Knife and steak knife
12 MM Box wrench

Locate the main relay under your dash

CIMG3102.jpg

Loosen the set nut on the Brake light switch
Unplug and remove the Brake light switch

remove the 10 MM bolt holding the main relay bracket to the steering column
Unplug and remove the Main relay

Now that you have the main relay out of the car, Slide a steak knife between the gray and black plastic very carefully, Once it is separating the locks carefully pry up until the relay comes apart just a little, Then Move to the other side, Once both sides are past the locks go ahead and pull it apart.

mainrelaydryjoint-th.jpg

Look carefully @ the soldering points there are "Dry" Solders and if you look closely with a magnifying glass you can even see hairline cracks, This is caused by heat cycling over a long period of time.

there are only 4 or 5 bad connection points at the most, I actually could only identify 1 bad one and the others just looked like small solders so I Re-soldered for good measure.
Heat your soldering iron, You can attempt to melt or "Blow out the old solders" I just added some fresh solder and heated them up real good.

DONE NOW JUST PUT HER BACK!

If you are concerned about your ability to solder or just want piece of mind, I'm sure you can take it to a VCR or electronics repair shop, I was going to take mine in to the electronic engineering department at my school but I had an extra relay laying around so I did it the quick easy way and it started right up, Time and summer will tell though.
Anyway once you have clean good solders you can coat the board with conforming solution which is supposed to protect it blah blah blah, I just put it back together reinstalled it and called it good.

If you have any questions about something that is unclear, PM me.

If this helped please REP

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

olivesomra

Reaction score
I didn't know how to solder so I bought the replacement part from Honda...I think it was $80?

i'm not to sure though, it was a long time ago.

Back