came across a "good" deal

lifelongbread

Reaction score
tl;dr at bottom of first post

basically a used car dealership came to my work the other day(tire store) and had a 04 acura tl. they were looking at rims and tires for the vehicle because they were the chrome tl wheels 5 spoke and 2 were flaking pretty bad. after they purchased there wheels and tires i took the guy to the side and asked him what they were doing with the oem wheels. he said he was probably trashing two of them and putting the other two up on craigslist. so i told him id give him 150 for all 4 wheels with tires. the tires were the bfgoodrich g-force super sports (about 50 percent tread). it took him a couple days and a little bit of haggling, but i got them for 160 cash(which probably went straight to his beer fund). going into this i knew i needed to do the 5 lug swap and get the wheels re-finished.

i called a couple salvage yards and one guy said that he didnt have any 98-02 v6 accords in stock, but he is looking to increase his inventory and he said if he finds one he will buy it just so i can do the swap. he quoted me 200 for the spindle, caliper, rotors, and pads. then 35 bucks for the v6 brake master cylinder. which didnt sound like a bad deal to me. just looking for opinions on that price.

now to the wheels again. it took me about 100 phone calls to finally find someone within 150 miles to get them powdercoated. he said he would need to look at the wheels to see how bad there flaking and how much corrosion they have to decide if he will be willing to powder coat them. so i took a couple pictures and i sent him and email(which im currently waiting for a response), but he said the way i described it he said that if i can get them sand blasted(which my tech would do it for a case of beer) he will powder coat them for 40 a wheel plus tax. which comes out to about 195 everything said and done. also looking for opinions on that price.

as for the tires they are about 50 percent left which i will ride on them for the summer and probably purchase a set of hankook v4s which i can get for about 400 installed thru my store. which isnt a bad price.

so basically after all this is done id be about 600 bucks into it minus the new tires come winter. is it really worth going thru all the trouble of getting all this together or should i do what the dealership was about to do and throw the wheels up on craigslist and try and get the gray oem wheels and keep the tires for the wheels. opinions and ideas greatly appreciated!

here are some photos of there current condition:

wheel 1:
wheel1part1.jpg

wheel1part2.jpg

wheel 2:
wheel2part1.jpg

wheel2part2.jpg

wheel 3:
wheel3part1.jpg

wheel3part2.jpg

wheel 4:
wheel4part1.jpg

wheel4part2.jpg

tl;dr
bought 04 tl wheels and tires(50 percent tread) for 160 dollars. would it be worth my time to sandblast them and get the powder coated for 195 dollars and do the 5 lug swap for 235. or just try and flip the tl wheels and buy them brand new in the color i want?
if i went with option "a" it would cost me 600 bucks, alot of hassle and possible not oem quality
or
option "b" which is easy and convient, but a more expensive?

Last edited:

lifelongbread

Reaction score
yeah iv seen them a couple times, but i dont think its very common.... but i think you missed the point of the thread :D

eggs

Reaction score
i wish the wheels were not messed up i really like the chrome tl wheels

lifelongbread

Reaction score
my paint guy called me back after seeing the pictures and he said the wheels them self have a little damage, but with alot of patients and hard work he said that we can get these looking good!
good news! but i really didnt want him calling at 720 in the morning on my day off :sleeping:

Back