Best place to mount radar detector.

pattywak

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Whistler Pro 78 SE rd and I currently have it mounted in the general middle of my front windshield at the lowest point that it would have a clear line of sight out the rear windshield. Now, I want to move it lower. Will this affect the performance of it at all? Does the rd have to have a straight line of sight out the rear windshield? The instruction manual just says to mount it in the middle of the windshield.

Thanks guys. If you have pictures of how you mounted yours that would help greatly. :thumbsup:

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Best to put it where theres a straight shot out the rear window... That will maximize performance.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Legal to have one where you're at?

It isn't here and it's getting harder to get away with having one, not that that stops people.

pattywak

Reaction score
Legal to have one where you're at?

It isn't here and it's getting harder to get away with having one, not that that stops people.

Yes, it's legal everywhere in the United Stated except Virginia and Dc, I think.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm guessing if I mount it lower on the windshield it'll lower performance substantially? It sucks that the rear deck of the coupes are rather high...

TheHunter

Reaction score
It's legal in most states. It says in the manuals that it should have a clear line of sight through the rear window, but really that's for laser mostly. Radar is a radio wave I believe so you could probably have it in your back seat and it would still be beeping? (Unconfirmed, this is just what my dad's told me). I still have to test that out, but I think having it at the middle on the bottom of your windshield is fine. I looks more stealthy and probably picks up a little more if you hardwire it like wildman, but I'm not sure how easy that is.

pattywak

Reaction score
Yeah, it kinda bothers me, the way it looks just hanging out in the middle of my windshield, like the very very middle. I just want to make sure i'm not making it completely useless by lowering the height.

AccordFlex

Reaction score
I keep mine tucked down on the bottom of the driver side right above the dash and I noticed no difference in performance from there to the middle of the window.

dtraill27

Reaction score
i have mine hard wired and placed right under my rear view mirror. cops gave me an obstruction of vision ticket when i had the cord hanging down from there it was beat haha

pattywak

Reaction score
I keep mine tucked down on the bottom of the driver side right above the dash and I noticed no difference in performance from there to the middle of the window.

I don't think I would tuck it off in the corner like that, I was just considering lowering the position on the windshield. But since you haven't had any noticeable decrease in performance, I wouldn't feel so bad lowering it.

Back