Jerking when Cold - Acceleration

thood341

Reaction score
I have a 2001 V6 EX - with 210k. this is my wifes car and she was telling me when ever she starts the car to leave for work each morning - the car is doing this strange jerking / non-responsive acceleration. Hopefully I can explain this as I have experienced it myself. I started the car - sat in it for 5 mins - then backed out of driveway - upon hitting the gas - the car would bog down - as if about to shutoff. I left my foot on the accelerator to see if it would eventually kick in - for about the next 30 secs - it bucked / jerked and made it way to the end of the street. Then (assuming) that once it warmed up - it will drive just fine. She said this cycle happens each time she get in the car after it has sat for a while and cooled off.
In May 2012 - we had major work done at a local Honda shop (not dealer).
  1. Induction system cleaning - BG44K treatment
  2. Throttlebody Assembly Replacement w/ gaskets
  3. Timing Belt / Water Pump Replacement
  4. Automatic Transmission Service (fluid replacement)

We spent about $2500 - which also included a brake job.

any ideas what this could be? We recently had a CEL - and I changed both O2 sensors - which removed the warning (2 weeks ago). This problem has been happening for about a month now and I was thinking the O2 sensors were this issue but its not. No other CEL warnings have displayed. I have a code checker - again - no CEL since reset after O2 sensors

Thanks for any suggestions

Travis

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same. Turns out it was one of the Trans sensors and it tore up my Trans.

Luckily I just had it rebuilt and it was under warranty so I am getting another rebuild for free.

But I think you should deff take it to a Trans expert before you do any more dmg.

Or start saving for a swap :)

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Advantages of jerking when cold is you don't have to sit on your hand and wait for it to go numb. If it's cold enough, your hand will stay numb through out the whole session ..

:hide:

thood341

Reaction score
ok....ok.... - yep....that one is on me..

WARNING: Posting Public Announcement:
Pre-Read before posting for any "unintended" humor statements.

:ohsnap:

thood341

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same. Turns out it was one of the Trans sensors and it tore up my Trans.

Luckily I just had it rebuilt and it was under warranty so I am getting another rebuild for free.

But I think you should deff take it to a Trans expert before you do any more dmg.

Or start saving for a swap :)

Would the sensor be something that I can replace or shop replacement only? exactly what sensor are we talking about?

thood341

Reaction score
oh one other thing - I wanted to add. I did mention that the engine was acting in a manner that it felt like it was starving for fuel. With the gas pedal depressed - I wasn't getting the right revs...it was dropping then all of a sudden the revs would boost and the car would take off. My wife has now "adapted" and removes her feet from the gas pedal until she feels the "episode" has cleared. Really makes a difference when deciding entering an intersection - she is very cautious now.

Today she told me that while she was waiting for me at a friends house - where the car had been parked for 2 hrs - she decided to get in the car and just had it idling. She said the idle was going up/down - very rough idle for a while.

Anyway - just more symptoms..

thood341

Reaction score
Update : car finally had a CEL - P0132 - which is an O2 sensor. Funny thing is that I JUST replaced BOTH sensors a few weeks ago. I read the code with my Actron CP9125 Pocket Scan Code Reader. Light just came on today.

Back