What would you do in this situation (VIS c/f hood)

Dracord

Reaction score
So I purchased a VIS OEM C/F hood to replace my stock one after a hail storm. I got an estimate to fix my hood which was $520, so I used that money to purchase a VIS hood instead ($480ish shipped). I didn't plan on painting it. I purchased through a distributor who was very nice, and when I received the hood I noticed the weave was messed up. About halfway through, the weave changes direction making it look like two different shades and there is one large weave imperfection that goes down the hood vertically

img_7153.jpg

img_7157.jpg

img_7158.jpg

img_7160.jpg

img_7172.jpg

I contacted my distributor with these pictures who passed them on to VIS. After a few weeks, I got a response with these as my options.

1. Pay to have the hood shipped back to the distributor who will then exchange the hood and pay shipping back to me.
2. Keep the hood and receive $60 for the defect.

Now here's the thing, it's going to cost 100+ to get the hood shipped back to them, and VIS will have nothing to do with shipping. The distributor was willing to pick up shipping back to me but if I want to exchange the hood I will have to cover shipping to them. Not being involved in a business that regularly shipps large items, I imagine I will have to pay more then $100 to ship the hood. I don't really want to argue at the distributor since they have been nothing but nice, but I am rather upset about the situation.

Would you do in this situation?

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score
do you still have the box and all the foam packing pieces? I would ship it back to them. I bet if you used DHL it wont cost as much as you think. I was going to sell rims through them and they quoted me under 100 for 4 rims.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
yeah, it shouldnt be too much to ship. personally i'd call vis and bitch the hell out of them until you get what you fell is appropriate retribution for THEIR defect. not that i'm a big asshole about stuff like that but i've worked for some big companies and customer service would much rather have a satisfied customer than one who will tell their friends about their horror story. "if you bitch it will come" so says my old CSR supervisor buddy. just my .02

lwlba

Reaction score
i would ship it back. honestly shiiiz happens and u'll have to take a punch sometiems. unless ur okay with how the weaving defect is or u know how to fix it, i personally think it's moer worth it to pay the shipping to get the perfect item u've been waiting for. i guess u'll just have to think that u got ripped off buying these in the beginning.

jccg5

Reaction score
ship it back ....get new one..and happy for a 3 year or so before is start to oxidation

Phut

Reaction score
is it an authentic VIS hood? meaning, is their badging on there? if so, then they're at fault. make sure you got the receipt, and whatever packing material it came in and ship it back for a new one.

also, if the distributor you went through local or online? either or, if they seen that defect upon arrival, they shouldn't have signed the invoice to take in the product.

00Accord35

Reaction score
If you have the original box wrap it back up and call VIS. Tell them to call who the use for a carrier UPS, FEDEX...etc. To do a pickup and exchange. It will cost them less and you'll get your new hood at same time. If they refuse tell the CSR that you will be sending reports to BBB and Dunse& Bradstreet.

Last did you sign for the package. If not call the dealer have them tell UPS or FEDEX it was damaged and they will pick it up for free and return to the original shipper. This is prob your easiest way if it came UPS.

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
VIS has a lot of imperfections in their CF Weave. At least that's what I've noticed in the hoods made in 2002-2005. Either it's a small nubbin that doesn't flow with the rest or it's the same your situation. Also, VIS is known to turn yellow the fastest. Although ALL CF hoods will turn yellow over time with exposure to UV.

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
I dont know what I would do. It looks like you're gonna get screwed either way. I woulda went with a OEM hood truthfully. I took the same route as you did and now I regret getting a CF hood.

I bet it doesnt fit properly either. Shoulda went with a different brand.

Back