HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 9/30/2018!!]

HomerJay

Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 12/7/2012!!]

It's been a while since I've done any work on my Honda. As such it's been a while since I last updated my car's post.

A couple of years ago, it became evident that I would need an engine swap due to bad oil control rings. Finally got around to starting the task this past month. Only a few water hoses, vacuum hoses and a couple of engine mounts remain at this point...:)

Before I started the swap, I was able to start her right up. Only on two cylinders, however...

torque_misfires.jpg

Previously, she was only running on one cylinder. I didn't want to keep trying to get to that point as it took long enough to register the second cylinder misfire on Torque.

Of course, it's turned into a larger project than originally planned. At the end of this, the following will be completed:
  • Engine swap "JDM" F23 (under 65K miles or so they say)
  • Timing belt change, new water pump, new tensioner pulleys, new accessory belts
  • New DC Sports exhaust (constantly burning oil ruined many exhaust parts: headers, catalytic converters)
  • New Competition Clutch ultra lightweight steel flywheel
  • New MagnaFlow catalytic converter (Given the rate at which oil was burning, it's either clean it or $100. I went with the $100 option. There's enough to do!)
  • New Innovative Mounts front engine mount
  • New Moog sway bar links (all around...no more hex key needed!!)
  • New Acura 27mm solid front sway bar
  • New battery (FREE!! Gotta love the Walmart warranty!)
  • New ValvoMax oil change valve
  • New sunroof drain hoses. No wonder my driver's floor was soaked after any rain!!
disconnected_drain_tube.jpg

• Revert back to OEM dashboard lighting (DONE!)
  • Poly bushings in front lower arms (Prothane kit #8227)
  • Changing from Neuspeed Sport to Neuspeed Race springs
  • Installing steel-braided brake hoses *
  • Installing Ultra Racing 4-point brace *
  • Installing new fan and temp dial stickers (DONE!) *
  • Rebuilt power steering pump (DONE!) *
* Parts that were on hand before the engine gave up. Just never got around to installing them while chasing down the oil issue.

Plenty of parts to install...

swap_parts_pile.jpg

Springs weren't as bad to remove as I would have thought. It's always a bit sketchy, to be sure. But now that I see the condition of the shocks, I'm submitting for a warranty review before swapping to the race springs.

strut_and_spring_rear.jpg

springs_and_lower_arms.jpg

Last edited:

HomerJay

Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 12/7/2012!!]

Fixed fan and temperature dial overlays. I didn't buy the kit for 2001. I think it was for 2000. Only $10 (at the time) for both stickers and all the button tops.

fan_speed_dial.jpg

temp_dial.jpg

One of the major issues I was having for quite some time was a leaking power steering system. The leaking really started after the fire. I think the parts they salvaged weren't the best quality. As a result, I rebuilt the power steering pump.

The leaking power steering fluid led to a grimy layer over everything including the power steering tank:
power_steering_tank_dirty.jpg

After cleaning, it's quite an improvement!
ps_tank_clean_1.jpg

ps_tank_clean_2.jpg

Not wanting the vanes to change position, I printed out a holder for the core pump mechanism (slotted disc and vanes):
ps_seal_overhaul_process.jpg

Also printed out some jigs to be able to press the bearing at the right depth as well as seat the inner seal:
ps_seal_press_jigs.jpg

Pressing the new bearing:
ps_seal_press_bearing.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I was about to ask where you were able to find brand new Neuspeed springs but then realized they had been sitting around all this time. Looks like some fun projects there, and some not so fun haha. Awesome the temp/fan dials are still available, I wouldn't have thought they were.

HomerJay

Reaction score
I was about to ask where you were able to find brand new Neuspeed springs but then realized they had been sitting around all this time. Looks like some fun projects there, and some not so fun haha. Awesome the temp/fan dials are still available, I wouldn't have thought they were.
The Neuspeed springs actually are a new purchase. I just bought them a few months ago. They're still readily available directly from Neuspeed.

HomerJay

Reaction score
It's out!!

Got the engine removed earlier this week! :cool:

The dark patch on the driver's side of the engine is power steering fluid (hence the pump rebuild) which did quite a great job of collecting all kinds of grit and grime. YAY!

engine_starting_lift.jpg

engine_lifting.jpg

engine_on_crane.jpg

engine_on_floor.jpg

So much more room!!
empty_engine_bay.jpg

All in all, it was much easier to do the actual lift than I would have thought.

Now to order an engine, I suppose. Although, I'm dealing with (read: waiting on hearing back) warranty claims on shocks and engine mounts so it'll probably be a while.

HomerJay

Reaction score
Lower Arm Bushings

The worst part of dealing with the bushings is removing the shells. Managed to peel one like a tin can:

01-peeling-shell.jpg

02-shell-removed.jpg

03-empty-lower-arm.jpg

I picked up the Prothane Lower Control Arm kit (#8-227) which also includes radius rod bushings. The kit was ~$65 (+$9 S&H). The third large bushing on the left (bottom left) is actually an Energy Suspension bushing from their kit. The Energy Suspension kit doesn't include the bushing for the frame end of the lower arm, however.

04-prothane-bushing-kit.jpg

The old bushings were sagging so badly. More than 2mm off center.

05-before-after-outer.jpg

06-before-after-inner.jpg

07-finished-lower-arms.jpg

Turns out that the transmission mounting bolts are discontinued. Of all things...and a 165mm high strength bolt is actually difficult to find. So I found an interesting little split die that you get on the correct thread track, hold with a socket and remove the bolt.

08-bolt-clogged.jpg

It took a couple of times but did eventually clean the threads quite well!

09-bolt-cleaned.jpg

Last edited:
Back