Are coilovers for everyone?

sweagle02

Reaction score
Hey guys how's it goin. Well I was going to finally get into droppin the ride a few months back but I got laid off FTL. Now im back with a new higher paying job and tomorrow is payday and I figured let me get the most expensive mod out of the way and do suspension.

I've contemplated coilovers and spring/shock combos but here's the deal. I honestly don't see myself raising or lowering my car. I think roughly about a 2.25" drop would be about right with some 18 inch rims. Ksport GT springs give me that drop and they're priced very nicely. I was thinkin about pairing the springs up with some Tokico blues.

On the other hand, I had my eye on some F2 Type 1's, but they're about $200 more. I know most of you are gonna say dish out the extra bones and get the coilovers, but like I said, i just don't see myself messing around with ride height.

Any insight would be appreciated, and thank you in advance. I hope to make the right decision by today and get some orders in tomorrow :eusa_drool:

changaroo

Reaction score
the tokicos will blow on a 2.25 drop. the blues are just an OEM replacement shock, not very high quality.

get the coils :) if youre afraid of a harsh ride, get a softer spring rate.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
It's a personal preference.

Right now, you say you don't see yourself messing with the ride height, but one day you may want to, so it would be better to have the flexibility to do that.

However, since you are recently laid-off(sorry to hear), then perhaps holding off on doing mods until steady income is obtained is probably a better idea. Then when the steady income starts coming in again, you can save a couple extra bones for a set of full coilovers.

LoveLee

Reaction score
lol he said that he has a better paying job now.

i will agree that coilovers are a personal preference. on my first 6thgen i went with a springs and it was never low enough for me. to be honest the springs you are looking at will make your car lower than mine was so it might fulfill your needs.

when i got my 2nd car i had to have coilovers, i like the flexibility. and now i can go lower than the 2.25 drop if i wanted to.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
My bad, missed the part about "wanting to celebrate with your first paycheck".

Full Coilovers, the amount of people on here that have/want to switch from shocks/springs to full coils is always growing.

There are still some great deals on here as well for full coils, check the Classifieds.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Buying coilovers is not necessarily just for ride height adjustability, but also for the ride stiffness that you will not get from shocks (with an exception of Koni Yellows or KYB AGX).

Personally, ive gone through 2 sets of springs with a 2" drop, and I was never satisfied because the ride wasnt stiff enough or low enough.

COILOVERS FTW!!:afro:

tnguyen600

Reaction score
Today, you may be happy with x drop. but who knows how you'll be months down the road? Ever get inspired by looking at other peoples' car? If I were you, even though you maybe mess around with the height/damper, get the coilovers. Its only $200 more which is better than pay $600+ down the road when you do decide to switch to coilovers.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i would think about what location you are in before you do coilovers. Coilover arent for every one everywhere. I live in NY and there are many disadvantages of having coil springs especially in the wintertime. Im like a snow plowin the winter when i had my springs on. It got to the point where i had to put my stock suspension on in the snow.

I HAD to make that investment for coilovers. and honestly i still adjust my ride height now and its summer... some times i WANT to go lower, sometimes i HAVE to go higher...

I think you should weigh out ur options, future travel locations, and other variables before you get coils. and FYI, the resale on coil overs will always be a fair amout as opposed to spring shock combo. (thats if you have to sell the car and decide to part out)

Last edited:

sweagle02

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. The cheapest brand new coilovers I'm looking at are the F2 Type 1's which come out to about $615. I know some of you guys reccomend other brands but that's how much I'm willing to dish out. I've look at the classifieds and while there are really good deals on coilovers here every once in a while, most of the time they're missing parts and have extensive use on them.

Back