Coupe 5MT swap questions

Student005

Reaction score
You'll also need a manual ecu to get full revs which means you'll need the key that goes with it unless you plan on getting a chipped ecu.

Will I need just the key or the ignition cylinder that matches the key? Because I know most post-1996ish keys have transponders in them which won’t let you start the car without the matching key. And these chipped ecus you speak of, are they pretty much just bypassing the immobilizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capsidx

Reaction score
chipped ecus are obd1 ecus that can have a special chip installed into the board. You can write things to this chip like engine basemaps and delete sensors. Also you can do what I did if you do find one with a key. You can basically pull out the transponder reader. cut the wires, lengthen them away from the cylinder. Tape the key for the ecu to the transponder reader and use your key as normal. If you try to keep the transponder where it is the keys will interfere with eachother and you wont be able to start the car. Also if you cant figure out how to wire up a clutch switch you'll have to cut the ignition wires, solder them together and put them on a toggle switch like I did. If you dont the car will start with the wires crossed but the starter will run continuously until it burns out. Roughly 2 trips 15 mins each. The switch lets you turn the starter on and off. If you use a manual ECU youll need to ground the clutch psw or it wont start.

The other key wont work with your cylinder and the dealer might not make you a key for the ECU because they'll want the VIN number off the other car. I have an f20b in my accord and the only way I can make it run is with a chipped obd1 p28 ecu because the F20bs had immobilizers and are obd2 so theres no way around that afaik. I also think they started the transponder thing in 98.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can bypass the immobilizer or just have the key reprogrammed to the new ECU. I don't remember what bolt I used, probably the oem one.

Student005

Reaction score
Okay so it seems like the easiest way about it is to call my local dealership and ask them if they can reprogram my current key to the new manual ECU and how many arms and legs they want for it lol. I’m going to pick up a chiltons manual and get the alldatadiy so I will have all the pinouts and diagrams I need to wire in the clutch switch etc. I know there’s going to be curve balls that I don’t anticipate with the wiring but there is some great write ups on this site that should assist me with that. Again, all of y’alls help is extremely appreciated.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Okay so it seems like the easiest way about it is to call my local dealership and ask them if they can reprogram my current key to the new manual ECU and how many arms and legs they want for it lol. I’m going to pick up a chiltons manual and get the alldatadiy so I will have all the pinouts and diagrams I need to wire in the clutch switch etc. I know there’s going to be curve balls that I don’t anticipate with the wiring but there is some great write ups on this site that should assist me with that. Again, all of y’alls help is extremely appreciated.

I'd have the dealer make a "spare" key when they re-program the ECU. It's 70 bucks for a 98-02 key programed to start the car (they need both keys when programing). We did that with my wife's car (had a 2nd key made that was programed), as I sometimes use her car, and I work on it.
According to the FSM, you can tape both keys together (the original and the 1 that matches your new ECU), just make sure it's on top so the transponder reads it.
You could also go to the sticky in the "Accord Tech" forum, and follow the link to the FSM,and down load whatever you need.

Student005

Reaction score
I'd have the dealer make a "spare" key when they re-program the ECU. It's 70 bucks for a 98-02 key programed to start the car (they need both keys when programing). We did that with my wife's car (had a 2nd key made that was programed), as I sometimes use her car, and I work on it.
According to the FSM, you can tape both keys together (the original and the 1 that matches your new ECU), just make sure it's on top so the transponder reads it.
You could also go to the sticky in the "Accord Tech" forum, and follow the link to the FSM,and down load whatever you need.

I may have misconstrued what you mean. So you’re saying if I bring my new manual ECU and my current key they can make my current key start my car and make a spare? And okay thank you I’ll definitely look into that.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I may have misconstrued what you mean. So you’re saying if I bring my new manual ECU and my current key they can make my current key start my car and make a spare? And okay thank you I’ll definitely look into that.

Basically yes. You'll need to finish your conversion, get a new ECU WITH a matching key. and then take (or flatbed) the car to the dealership. I only mention the flatbed, in case you don't get a key with your "new to you" ECU.

My wife dropped her car off at the Honda dealer, and had them make a 2nd chipped key that would start and run the car. It cost us 70 bucks. But, they had to have the car present (they cut the key to the VIN), and proof we owned it (registration). The 2nd key works perfectly in ALL of the locks too. :)
For my 97 Accord (non chipped key) they made a key from the VIN, using my registration slip. It works just fine too. That key cost 7 bucks to cut.

Student005

Reaction score
Basically yes. You'll need to finish your conversion, get a new ECU WITH a matching key. and then take (or flatbed) the car to the dealership. I only mention the flatbed, in case you don't get a key with your "new to you" ECU.

My wife dropped her car off at the Honda dealer, and had them make a 2nd chipped key that would start and run the car. It cost us 70 bucks. But, they had to have the car present (they cut the key to the VIN), and proof we owned it (registration). The 2nd key works perfectly in ALL of the locks too. :)

For my 97 Accord (non chipped key) they made a key from the VIN, using my registration slip. It works just fine too. That key cost 7 bucks to cut.

Okay that’s great I’m gonna start looking for an ecu with a key. And I appreciate you mentioning the accord tech thing I found a diagram fir the cruise control which is the one thing I was unclear of.

Student005

Reaction score

Have you tried the Doctronic “mobilizer”? I found it in another thread and it seems like a good price.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't need a matching key with the spare ecu, all you need is the VIN to the car that ECU came out of. The dealer can cut the key based off the VIN

Back