Toughts on h23

Jfuentes87

Reaction score
Alright so Ive been searching for an H23 swap, Im only running into g23 set ups. Ive been looking for a while but cant find crap:lolhitting:. Ive saved up around $1200 so far. It was for a turbo on a F23a1, but I just ran into this and was wondering if I can do this swap or just keep saving for a turbo set up. I was told its the exact same as a H22 swap. Im a noob so if i need to get schooled go right ahead. My engine has 165,000 miles on it right now. Im not even gonna attempt to do any of this myself, a reliable shop is gonna do it all for me. So im factoring an extra $1000 or so for them to do the turbo or swap. Thanks Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
you live in texas and you want an engine that's in NJ?

there's hundreds of shops in texas that can source you an engine and do the swap, don't buy some **** online, do your research, figure out what you want to do and stay local

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Depending on your turbo set up, an h23 puts down 200 to the crank, which is probably what you would get running 6 or 7 psi with a tune. Id go with the h23, way more reliable and you dont have to wait for a spool.

Last edited:

BBMF00accord

Reaction score
this was the swap i was going to go with if my motor held up until at least april when my finances could support it but then i realized i fell out of love with the accord when i blew my F..i had one lined up at a defferent engine place around here..jdm engine depot in kearny nj (great people)

but jdm engine zone is where my new f23 is probably coming from simply because engine depot doesnt have anymore f23s in stock...its like 20 mins away from me so ill be picking up my motor...but shipping shouldnt be TOO bad

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Depending on your turbo set up, an h23 puts down 220 to the crank, which is probably what you would get running 6 or 7 psi with a tune. Id go with the h23, way more reliable and you dont have to wait for a spool.

lol, nope, no wait for a spool, but wait even longer for actual power.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
lol, nope, no wait for a spool, but wait even longer for actual power.

True, but with an h23 tranny/motor and light flywheel. It would not matter about the torque since the car will rev fast and have shorter gears. Turbos are only good when they come with the car or you build your motor for one. IMO

JC98

Reaction score
I think this swap will mount right up if everything is the same as an H22 swap. With H22 there is always the driverside mount issue, but guy who worked on mine told me the driverside mount bracket he used for mine was off an H23A vtec blue top( he had it laying around from previous swap) n it worked perfect without modification (I hope he was correct bout the swap that the bracket came off of cuz if he is then yes the bracket works perfect...just saying in case anyone cared to know or for anyone who didn't know...no more driver's side mount issue with that bracket :)).

Jfuentes87

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I found a shop locally, Theyve been doing engine work for around 50 years. I always tought that swapping an engine would be much more dificult than boost. It dosent really matter to me now since im not doing it. Im leaning towards an engine swap now, the shop told me that The H23 was a good engine to boost in the future. So im gonna try to find one locally or in Texas at least. Im super excited, now my car might actually be fast instead of slow+ loud. Now I just have to sell a kidney to come up with the rest. In all im really looking forward to a good income tax return. I cant beleive im blowing this much money on a car, but I sure as hell am going to enjoy it :boink:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Okay, lets not get this mixed up here.

I meant to say the H22A, the motor from the 5th gen prelude SIR S spec or the Accord type R or Euro R CL1. It is rated at 220hp...it is not recommended for turbo.

The blue tops they sell on ebay are most likely more mated with automatics.

Those are rated at 180hp NOT 200hp, they created a better mid range punch for the automatic...the manaul has 200hp.

The compression ratio is 10:6:1...which is terrible if you ever plan on turbo. You would have to lower your compression or you most certainly create detonation. That is when the gas is ignited before the spark..this can happen when you try to turbo a engine that has too much compression to begin with. In other words, your more likely to blow your motor.

The F23 in fact, has a compression ratio of 9:3:1, which is better and probably going to be easier to turbo stock. Its still not low enough and any turboed car needs forged internals to deal with the added stress.

I dont care how many years that shop has been building engines....there is no way in hell a H series is good to turbo stock. Any engine is good to turbo if you lower the compression and installed forged internals.

To be completely honest...you could probably almost get like a 97 or so prelude with an h22 in it already. For the price you pay to have someone swap your engine....and gain only 50hp...it isnt that much reallly. You will feel the difference....but it wont be super fast. It will be more fun to drive...but your not going to hang with stock WRX's or G35's with that.

Last edited:
Back