DIY: Ignition Switch replacement (Recall number 02-031)

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I don't understand what you are trying to do. You bumped this old thread to show that the part number has changed, that info has already been made available.

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I see now that I overlooked where a new part number was mentioned. But that still doesn't explain why the old part number is still available. It has to still fit the car. Has it been superseded because the new one is better built or is the old PN just old stock that has not sold through yet?

And as for the comment, you obviously don't understand, but that didn't stop you from making assumptions, gj.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I didn't update the OP... No one has seen this thread in three years...Call Honda to find out if the old parts are still available if you want. I put the link there as a freebie if you don't like it skip past the part number and continue with the repair. What assumption are you assuming I made?

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Haha. No reason to discuss negative things in this thread. So, thank you for the DIY writeup; I'm sure lots of people have made good use of it.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
So it seems this is the reason for the dual part numbers.

"Models that have had the ignition switch replaced under this recall should use switch 35130-S84-305 instead of the original 35130-S84-A01 switch. Please contact your local dealer if unsure whether or not your vehicle is included with those that were recalled"

Brad2274

Reaction score
Gosh dang i was wondering why my car did this (its fixed now), i spent 3 days trying to find what caught fire in my car and made it stall/stopped it from turning over again, eventually found out it was the ig switch, replaced it with a spare used one...think i can bring it to the dealer with my used one hooked up?

Brad2274

Reaction score
e4u8unad.jpg

Here's the fried one

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Bump from the dead. Brad did you smell a burning plastic kind of smell? Last night on a long drive home my car shut off twice then kicked back on with the symptoms mentioned in the OP, and when I stopped for gas and shut the car off, had a hard time starting it again. And all while driving I smelled a sort of burning plastic smell.

My Owners link profile says my ignition switch has already been replaced, but not the interlock. But only the switch can cause the above problems, right? Guess I'll be installing a new one myself.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
For me the cutting out/not starting became worse and worse over time. The contacts get to were they make a weak connection. This would likely cause a rise in current because of the drop in voltage, so it could cause a burning smell.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Interesting. For me, it happened once or twice for a week or two a few months ago, then nothing for those few months, then just last night it flared up. Strangely inconsistent.

By some stroke of luck the local dealer had a switch in stock, picked it up and going to install tonight. Weird thing is they also had the 305 in stock, and it was $20 cheaper. But in their system it said mine was the A01...so that's what I bought. Not sure what's up with that...could these differ across motors/trims? I didn't think they would.

Back