LED DIY: AC Controls

4door accord02

Reaction score
nice work..I decided to change my mind to white Leds and will be ordering up this week for my gauge and hvac controls....blakc gsr what colorwhite led did you go with a pure white??

accordwhite00

Reaction score
Nice did the same mod of my 98 coupe. You have light leaking from the auto/off button you can cover it with electrical tape

black95gsr

Reaction score

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Great write up. My thread always sucked because at the time, LEDautomotive had all their instructions online so everyone had access to the instructions and it wasn't intended to every be a clear documentation of how to do it. Now, I forgot what I did. My car has a manual CC anyway.

If you took pictures, I am sure people would love a write up on the cluster. People ask me questions all the time but I did this like 5 years ago or more. I totally forgot what I did lol. I think it would be great to have a consolidated thread.

Mikey

Reaction score
I agree. I was thinking of doing one for the CC/sunroof/fog switches but the filters on those are super thin and can easily be damaged, so...IDK what to do about them.

Ive seen simple LED conversions for the cluster and there are hotspots that Im not a big fan of. IMHO, the only way to do the cluster right is to solder in bulbs. I forget who but someone else has done it and it looked MUCH better. Other than the radio, and until I can figure something else out for the remaining buttons, Im probably done with the DIYs, lol.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I agree. I was thinking of doing one for the CC/sunroof/fog switches but the filters on those are super thin and can easily be damaged, so...IDK what to do about them.

Ive seen simple LED conversions for the cluster and there are hotspots that Im not a big fan of. IMHO, the only way to do the cluster right is to solder in bulbs. I forget who but someone else has done it and it looked MUCH better. Other than the radio, and until I can figure something else out for the remaining buttons, Im probably done with the DIYs, lol.

I know the person you are talking about who added bulbs. I actually added 2 myself and though they helped a bunch, I still have a few weaker spots (but no hot spots). If I did mine again, assuming I did white, I would add more bulbs, then try to diffuse them (you can get these plastic caps, not sure what they are called).

Same with the HVAC, I would probably add an LED for every button, not because mine are uneven, I just wouldn't mind if they were brighter. I did add an LED for the Defrost (red) and that looks really good.

That is a big reason why I don't like people using my "DIY" thread. It wasn't about using LED's, it was about figuring out how to use white ones. I did things differently than if I were going to use blue, for example, and even though I did things to improve my setup, I still would do it differently if I did it again.

One thing to remember about white, when you take off the filters and especially the filtered material on the cluster, you get rid of the blue that diffuses but there is also the black patterns to light everything up evenly. Therefore you get rid of two things the factory used to make things more even, while putting in much more focused bulbs.

Makes me want to go out and buy a bunch of LED's right now, lol. I already got the hard parts out of the way.

Mikey

Reaction score
My write-ups made each item brighter than before and I dont feel the need to make them any brighter. Id like a way to change the coloration on the clock but, again, it's bright enough for me.

I might have to change over the cluster with twist bulbs and just see how I like it. I might just replace the bulb(s)[??] that shine onto the cluster and leave the interior bulbs. IDK.

Oh, the other thing somebody had to do was sand down the gauge faces. I know it's worth it in the end but Im not looking to get that deep into it.

4door accord02

Reaction score
im thinking of buying my bulbs from LEDAUTOMOTIVE.COM and didnt realize they actually DIY for each setup?? any body have any feedback from this website?

Mikey

Reaction score
im thinking of buying my bulbs from LEDAUTOMOTIVE.COM and didnt realize they actually DIY for each setup?? any body have any feedback from this website?
I know members have purchased bulbs from them and I believe only one of their kits does NOT require soldering. The others DO. If you can and want to, go for it. I however, did not. I got mine through superbrightleds.

4door accord02

Reaction score
I know members have purchased bulbs from them and I believe only one of their kits does NOT require soldering. The others DO. If you can and want to, go for it. I however, did not. I got mine through superbrightleds.

I dont have a problem with sodering or anything But i think im just going to by the HvAC AND clock led kit from led automotive and for the gauge cluster buy the 360 degree white led bulbs from elsewhere....they actually have pretty good writeuops on the ledautomotive.co website for our accords:ughrun:

Back