STUPID P1456! please help me

justmoddin

Reaction score
okay i have a 2002 accord sedan. My check engine light has been on for awhile i scanned it, it came up p1456, I have done a lot of searching on this site about the code and recently replaced the canister vent shut valve(17310-S0X-A02) I drove about 22 miles and check engine is on again my question is what should i try next to fix this code I do not smell any gas should I try the part in the link next http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-DOR911-754-Vapor-Canister-Purge/dp/B009IF1YJY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1394937540&sr=1-2&keywords=911-754

I think its just called a 2way valve please help 6thgenners! im so sick of seeing this on my dash :greenchainsaw:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I've had this for quite awhile now, can't get rid of it. I have replaced the canister, shutoff valve, 2-way valve, & solenoid and still have the code. I had a smoke test done and thought I fixed the car after that, but the code came back. Dont know what else to do.

Before you go buying parts in the dark, I'd try a smoke test. Maybe you'll be luckier than me.

justmoddin

Reaction score
How is the smoke test done and what smoke comes out of my part thats leaking and i know thats the faulty part, thanks for the quick response btw, is a smoke test something i can do myself?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It is something you can do yourself, but the equipment to do it right is expensive and I'm not sure you can rent it. I had mine done at Tire Discounters. They said it would be $90 for the test which I was taken aback by haha, but then it ended up being free because they saw the smoke exiting pretty quickly so they didn't use much.

justmoddin

Reaction score
NICE it being free!! but unfortunate you haven't been able to solve it. I read some of your posts about it and it seems like you have been through a lot trying to figure this stubborn code out. Did you ever look into the ORVR?

justmoddin

Reaction score
just wanted to add i have not replaced my gas cap should i just get a stant cap or do i need oem

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
If that's the same code I had before, get an oem gas cap if you're going to replace the original. I used 2 AutoZone caps and the code always came back. Spent the extra money on oem, code never came back in the past 4 years

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

Teesak

Reaction score
make sure you gas cap clicks multiple times when you put it back on. I always turn it half a full rotation after it starts clicking now because when i didnt it i'd got the code on and off, but i havent had the problem since doing so. hope its that easy for you as well.

justmoddin

Reaction score
well i will roll up to autozone and have them scan the code because im not sure if its the p1456 or not but that is the code i had before i replaced the canister solenoid so idk maybe its a new code if the p1456 is fixed but i doubt it..... will update soon as i know:icon_axe:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Smoke tests are meh. I prefer vac/press + cap + gauge, towards 14.5 psi = leak

Easy peasy, no special tools required.

Edit: soapy water in spray bottle usefull w/ press if you want to find the leak

Last edited:
Back