H23 Blue Top swap.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Yes I know search search search and I have and have not found my definitive answer.

I want to swap the f23 out next year for the h23 blue top.

I DO NOT have emissions in Indiana. Anything goes. You can drive down the road blowing smoke and smelling like crap if u want.

I am wanting to make this a simple swap. I have read some people using the auto ecu that comes with the h23 BT and making it work but I want the redline and full potential of the motor. There are not many Honda tuners around here.

Is there a way to keep my car obd2 and use the factory Accord SIR ecu?

I don't see why not. Most threads are trying to pass emissions with a chipped p28 or something but that doesn't apply to me. And I see no reason to tune it if the factory tune on the Accord SIR wagon is 197hp.

I plan on doing basic bolt ons like IHE.
This is for a daily driver. Just want some more pep and reliability than going boost.

I plan on keeping my f23 manual transmission. I don't care for the super close gears of an h22. I do all highway/interstate driving to work so I like the long 5th gear

dawg316

Reaction score
you can swap the h23 bluetop ecu it will just have a checkengine light.

I do also recomend the h22 trans. i have a h22 with a f23 trans and then went h22 trans. **** is soo much better with the h22 trans.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Thanks.. But I do 90% interstate driving.

Doing 8ph I'm right at 3k rpm and getting 27mpg. I drive over 18k miles a year and would like to keep my fuel mileage as best as I can.

I'm not worried about racing. Having some more power than the f23 is all I want. If I can pass someone on the highway easier or pull away from some v6 mustang or charger I'm happy,

Plans in the future would be to drop in an h22 transmission and use my f23 tranny 5th gear. Nice in town gearing and a good highway gear still.

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
It is looking like a chipped p28 or p06 ecu is gonna be my best but not so easiest option.

Then dyno tuning is gonna run me around 400.

But before then I gotta convert the engine and what nots to obd1

capsidx

Reaction score
Not to be rude but whats the point of buying a high performance motor at almost 500 dollars over a normal honda motor only to mate it to an economy transmission and lose performance? I understand highway driving and I do a lot of it as well but I still put a short geared tranny on the motors I have to get the best performance. Again, not bashing you I just dont see the point lol. You could put in an f23 again and you wouldnt know the difference as you arent doing autocross or anything.

capsidx

Reaction score
So you are saying having 40-50 more hp will not be noticeable? I find that hard to believe.

I didnt say it wouldnt be noticeable. I said you're losing performance by mating an economy transmission to a high performance motor. I had an f23 with a manual before the h23. There was a huge difference between the motors but guess what? There was only a 10 hp difference between the motors but they both had two different transmissions, one short geared and one tall geared. With the f23 id be lucky to chirp the tires in second. With the H23 it burned through first, spun them halfway through second and a little bit in third. I noticed a huge difference and I was using a non vtec motor.

The H23 was noticeably more faster than the F23 even with the lack of vtec and on paper they were about the same. Im not saying you wont get better performance with the H23a because you will. Im just saying it doesnt make sense to get a high performance motor for double the cost of a normal Honda motor and run an economy transmission when you can get way more fun and enjoy-ability out of your new investment.

You said you wanted to redline it occasionally and beat camaros and mustangs which might be hard with those long gears. The smaller gears just make more sense. You also said you dont want high revs on the highway but thats a big tradeoff. But in the end its your money and your car so you can do whatever makes you happy lol.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Oh don't worry. One day when my kids are older and are in public school I'll have more play money to build what I want. And in town sleeper with short gears and high revs possibly spraying.

But for now the budget doesn't include a different tranny. It is still gonna be my highway cruiser work car which I NEED the long 5th gear. I'm not driving at 4K+ rpm otw to work for 30 minutes. Hell no not for the trade off of better power banding for the once in a blue moon race.

There isn't enough justification.

Back