My 89 CRX DX

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Got the head back from a shop (needed to get a broken spark plug removed and inspection) and it seems the valve guides are worn. On the bright side, everything else checked out fine. I also checked out the cylinder walls myself and they appear to be in great condition still. So it seems like the valve guides might be the cause of the supposed smoking. The previous owner claims the car smoked a little on cold starts and during VTEC. The price of good aftermarket guides don't seem bad, I just don't like the idea of putting the head in the oven to remove the guides :Boo: At least it's better than doing a full block teardown/cylinder hone/possibly oversized pistons! I just want to avoid any of that if at all possible right now.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Run watchu HAVE, head swaps are easy, run 10w30 NOT 5w20, if it uses less than 1qt per 1000mi...see how much boost it will hold (I bet 11psi if tuned good, 7psi 'garage' mech) have new parts ready, I re-recomend D15

Oh, SOHC4LIFE (my shirt w/ D16A6 pic on it)

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
So I should be fine if I run a leave the guides and run a thicker oil? I might need to go back to the shop and get a copy of the notes. If I can get away with leaving the guides alone for a while, that'll be great. Either way, I'm most likely going to replace the valve seals for an extra peace of mind. They're only $1.50 or so each.
And I'm simply more of a DOHC fan, more fun than single cams :p

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, I run 10w40, lol, 5w20 is for mpg!

Are valve seals dead? Pulling valve springs is a pita & dangerous. Honda used good rubber, most probs are due to neglect!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
oh, imo, v6 are like two stuck d16s, I wish it was a 3.0 v8, with 2 d15s! Only time dohc is ok, I have dual over head cam heads! Move that 's'!

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
They appear to be good. Pulling springs aren't bad with the right tools. Maybe I should put everything back together and use 10w40 and see how the smoking is?

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
IMG_20140730_125224_zpsdklp1zux.jpg

Got a few things in the mail the other day. ARP headstuds, hasport b swap mounts mounts, cable to hydraulic clutch adapter and b series shift linkage (not pictured). Didn't have much time to work on the car lately since I moved again and had to leave it at my dad's house, so I've mainly just been ordering parts.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Odd, the cable convertor (ok) and the shift link, most peeps weld 'em!

I thought some B's had an lsd stock.

Back