Car won't start only in the Summer time when HOT out.

00Bubby

Reaction score
I've had my Accord for 7 years and 3 years ago it wouldn't start in the summer when it's 90+ degrees out. It only does this in the summer when it's hot, no other time. It's also getting worse as time goes on. Here's what happens...

1.) It starts and then dies about 10 seconds later. I have to open the windows to try and cool it off and then about 10 minutes later it will start.

2.) It won't start at all and takes about 10 minutes to get it going.

The battery is new, spark plugs, wires and distributor seem good. A friend of mine said these Accords have a little plastic peace that is connected to the wires that are on the ignition wires and when it gets hot, it expands and the wires don't have a good connection and that's why it won't start. I was reading about the recall for the ignition. Is this the same problem? Should I call a Honda dealer?

Thanks!

Emo236e

Reaction score
+1 for Main relay....I had the exact symptoms on an Acura Legend a while back and it was the main relay.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree and say main relay. your friend saying some little plastic piece expands and makes the plug wires not get a good connection sound like he doesn't know **** about cars.

Radloff5

Reaction score
I would say it’s the Main relay. I had the same problem last summer. I unplugged the main relay when it was not starting, and as soon as I plugged a new one, it started right up.

Back