Power steering issue...

cl206

Reaction score
Hi I got to changing my front and pass side engine mount today and I thought everything went okay but now I have a big issue. When I start the car, there is a whirring sound from my power steering belt and it gets worse when I give it gas while in park and even worse when I turn. In addition, the fluid seems to be overflowing like either the pump is going bad or there is a clog. I just drove like 15 miles total and saw that there was PS fluid on top of the reservoir and sound that gone down the sides. I always check my fluid level, so it can't be that I had too much.

I don't know if I did something inadvertently while I doing the pass side mount. There were a couple issues however. First when I started doing the pass side, I forgot to jack the engine a little, to "take the weight of the mount." I don't really know if that was required. Nevertheless one of the bracket bolts got stuck and I had to drill it out. I did loosen the bolt that holds the PS fluid reservoir in place so that I can wiggle out the mount.

Please, any help would be appreciated. If I have to take it to a mechanic, I will eventually, but I want to make sure it's not something obvious.
THANKS!

nhoz22

Reaction score
The noise could be some air inside the PS line.. check if you can see a leak..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cl206

Reaction score
The noise could be some air inside the PS line.. check if you can see a leak..

I was reading up on this and I agree with you that it might be air in my system, I was pretty rough when shoving the PS line aside. I don't think it is actively leaking. Maybe the leak is right at the line that goes to the reservoir? It is bubbling too when I start. Assuming there is air in my PS lines, should I try to flush out the whole system and refill and then bleed?

nhoz22

Reaction score
You could that or try turning the wheel left-right to get the air out..but you got to find how the air hot into the system...
Sorry for asking, but did you used honda PS fluid?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Did you tighten the power steering pump back on and made sure the belt is tightened to about 1cm of deflection?
Did you check to make sure no power steering hose got moved/had its clip come loose somehow?
Try bleeding the power steering fluid by turning the wheels lock to lock slowly about 12 times and recheck.

cl206

Reaction score
FIXED! I did a couple of things. I replaced the 0-ring to the pump (not the one from the pump) and also flushed the entire PS steering system and checked the screen on the bottom of the reservoir. But I have taken it for a spin twice and so far so good! With the new engine mts and new PS fluid hehe, it feels great! Thanks nhozz and stunna!

I will post a DIY on the engine mts later tonight as well as how I replaced the o ring and flushed the fluid. I actually used a couple of you tube videos to help me get started and I will post those in the DIY section later..

Last edited:
Back