turbo issues after reinstall

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Long story short,ran out of time this weekend fabricating new kit.
Ended up having to take off everything new and put back on orginal kit.

Now few concerns- turbo dosnt spin at idle but does once givrn gas?
Second slight white smoke coming from dp flange to turbo. Im hoping its oil burning off or the pb blaster..starts smoking at idle..
Any info /input?
Kindaa scared to drive but have too. Boosts fine still

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I totally didn't see this thread until JUST now!

This is indeed a serious concern my friend.

The turbo should ALWAYS be spinning. If it is not, then you have either a blockage or a dead bearing in the turbo. Blockage is not the case probably because you would have known - your engine would have already let you know with dangerous sounds and malfunction. I guess it could also be caused by lack of lubrication to the turbo, which on its own can be caused by a lot of things, in which case this would also result in dead bearing and/or busted seals.

With the car off, take off your intake filter if you have one, and spin the turbo by hand. How hard is it to turn the fins? Does it have shaft play in and out? Also, how much play does it have side-to-side? All turbos have teeennyyy amount of side-to-side play, but if it is significant that this is also bad. If this side-to-side play is the case, then you may have a bad turbo bearing and/or seal, causing it to get 'kinked' and jammed from too much sideways angle, but unjammed when you give it gas or drive. For mental imagery think of the static position of a top or gyroscope, then when force is applied it straightens out on its axis and spins uniformly.

As inconvenient as this sounds bro, do NOT drive with the turbo like this. You'd be better off taking it off and putting on a stock exhaust manifold. You risk damaging the internals of your engine if it goes off axis enough to cause the fins to break or the seals to completely bust out of there due to the resistance it is overcoming. That's where they will be getting sucked into, in pieces. It is my belief that the smoke is the seals burning when resistance is overcome or strain is put on even during normal idle. Oil would be a darker smoke, but then again it's difficult to tell - does the smoke smell like anything? Case in point, I wouldn't risk it because most likely this is the case. Turbo should ALWAYS be spinning very freely even at idle.

IIRC, you have been using a generic turbo right? Feel free to give me a call tomorrow man we can talk more about this. I'm passin out right now. Sorry to hear about this hiccup Monty! Hopefully we can figure something out.

- Nikita

Last edited:

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score
Sometimes bigger turbine's wont spin at idle if they're journal bearing. However the white smoke coming from inbetween the downpipe and turbine housing sounds like the rear seal of the turbo is leaking.

Chorilored

Reaction score
I also had white smoke coming out of the same area when i just installed my turbo. nikita (russianred) said it was normal and it went away after a few mins. I guess the piping was breaking in.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I guess the above writeup doesn't apply in Monty's case because his is fine it seems. I guess his is a bigger turbo and for some reason wouldn't spin in idle. Not sure if his smoke went away yet, but most of the time smoke is caused by oil and dirt burning off (while they are heating up) after handling the parts. It could also be caused by bad seals etc.. So important to pay attention to any signs of anything even if they are something simple or nothing significant - still pays to pay attention.

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
yea thanks for the reply guys.
I have not yet taken off the filter to see if it spins yet after a week worth of oil going back through it and correcting the vac. line I had wrong at time of post.

I called the shop who originally installed the kit and they said its normal for larger turbos not to spin on a smaller motor.
the smoke stopped until I ran it hard the other day,but its just oil from the inlet gasket.I never replaced it after un-sealing it to swap turbos plus it was already leaking before hand,so I just made it worse. Im keeping an eye on my oil level due to having an oil leak from my distributor internally.

my plan is to get back out there thanksgiving 4day weekend and install all my new stuff I made and get my exhaust higher due to that was only issue. will keep updated.

Back