Gas smell

datechboss101

Reaction score
I am getting some gas smell when I am outside near my CG. Not sure what is failing, but a friend of mine who used to own a CG told me that the CAT is failing. I don't see any CEL at all, but anyone know what is causing this smell? And this is not coming from the end of the exhaust system.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You'll probably have a p1456 or p1457 pop up soon, if not already. If p1456 could be gas cap, filler neck, or tank. if p1457 that means canister, bypass valve, or something else in that general area.

datechboss101

Reaction score
You'll probably have a p1456 or p1457 pop up soon, if not already. If p1456 could be gas cap, filler neck, or tank. if p1457 that means canister, bypass valve, or something else in that general area.

Caps told me to check the fuel rail/fuel feed line... Is that the first step to check for any issues?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Caps told me to check the fuel rail/fuel feed line... Is that the first step to check for any issues?

Since you live in FL....HIGHLY doubt it's one of the hard fuel lines. They like to rot out here in the north. You don't really have that issue down there.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
No on the fuel lines, at least not yet. The other stuff I mentioned is easier to inspect and replace. Well, except the gas tank.

I did a smoke test trying to find my fuel evap leak, still couldn't find it. But you might have better luck.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Mine has had this for 2 years now, zero codes. Been too lazy to track down though. I only smell it when its warm or hot out, alot of threads i looked at was related to a valve connected to the evap canister. I have emissions due in june so ill see if i have to actually track it down. I would start around the evap canister when you smell it. Where are you smelling it, the front or rear of the car? Also does it happen when the gas tank is at halfa tank or below? Mines more towards the rear and can only smell it when im at half a tank or below.

Edit: ill try to find the thread i read on this but there was a way to check the valve connected to the canister, if i remember right you pull off one of the hoses and if you have gas in the hose the valve is bad. Maybe it was the bypass valve. Also tighten the gas cap about 5-8 clicks seems to help, one of the honda techs i work with said the 3 click oem cap should be tighten more or can still set a evap code for a amall leak.

Last edited:

datechboss101

Reaction score
Mine has had this for 2 years now, zero codes. Been too lazy to track down though. I only smell it when its warm or hot out, alot of threads i looked at was related to a valve connected to the evap canister. I have emissions due in june so ill see if i have to actually track it down. I would start around the evap canister when you smell it. Where are you smelling it, the front or rear of the car? Also does it happen when the gas tank is at halfa tank or below? Mines more towards the rear and can only smell it when im at half a tank or below.

Edit: ill try to find the thread i read on this but there was a way to check the valve connected to the canister, if i remember right you pull off one of the hoses and if you have gas in the hose the valve is bad. Maybe it was the bypass valve. Also tighten the gas cap about 5-8 clicks seems to help, one of the honda techs i work with said the 3 click oem cap should be tighten more or can still set a evap code for a amall leak.

I am getting the smell from the middle of the car. It happens when the tank has gas in it, regardless of fuel level. Also, any pictures of the valve and canister with the hose to unplug would be helpful.

Kimbo80

Reaction score
The evap canister is right under the rear driver's side door. Normally, the valve goes bad on the canister, and you get a p1457 error code. There are Youtube videos that show you how to change it.

Last edited:
Back