How to change accessory belt (without power steering)

capsidx

Reaction score
I didn’t see a write up and I know it’s hella noob but someone might benefit from this. Especially since if there was a write up, photo bucket would have killed it.

So anyways I no longer have power steering. If you have a ps pump it might not be a bad idea to change these belts at the same time. To remove the power steering pump just loosen both 12mm nuts and it should drop right down giving you enough slack to pull the belt off. Which brings us to the alternator belt.

Tools: small ratchet with 12 mm, 10 mm and 14 mm sockets. Or wrenches of the equivalent. You can use either one to loosen these honestly. It makes no difference. The ratchets just a little faster.

Step zero: before anything please disconnect the battery.

Step one: loosen these bolts
a3e4e844903619dc3acd68c0252211f0.jpg

Step two: remove this bolt
002e09a4ae6ef0a9e829fed75087e23a.jpg

Step three: swing the bracket out of the way. If it won’t budge just loosen the adjusting screw some more.
4895e6f1aa46b7da19761acddd2c8d19.jpg

Step four: appreciate how bad your belt is and realize it was probably close to failing.
5d33707d35f884ae513811160f5d72c9.jpg

Step five: do everything in reverse and tighten up the adjusting screw to take the slack out of the belt. If you engine cranks a little slower than it usually does the belt is a little tight. Just back it off a little. The belt doesn’t need to be he man tight.

That’s it. It’s simple but I know some people who never worked on their car before can benefit from this. Saves you that 75 bucks the mechanic would charge you.

capsidx

Reaction score
Step four is probably the most important one because it reminds you to stop being a sh1tty car owner and keep up with basic maintenance :lawl:

Back