Enne's 1989 Honda Prelude Si 2.0 4WS

Enne

Reaction score
New exhaust tips and clean throttle body.

05b136a1d37aefc68da6e2f728a93dbb.jpg

ada623b331f2a51cf1559df344f3a504.jpg

56a0cf8bb585f0c89431b48c34cece8e.jpg

Had fun at the RCR shoot! It didn't rain, and I made some new friends. Mr. Regular liked Atreyu a lot. The video should be posted some time in August, he said. Here's a video we shot with a drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEiG8t8gpI

capsidx

Reaction score
I’m excited lol. That’s a lot of time needed for editing though. Probably all those snappy puns lol

Accordx

Reaction score
Ughhh gotta wait till August... I'm excited. It's always fun watching car reviews in general but it will be way cooler to see one on a car that we've all seen cleaned up from the time you got it.

Enne

Reaction score
Took him out, washed up and took some photos at the spot across the street from the car wash. I've taken nice photos of Selene and Harlock here before too.

yPpeuJj.jpg

VbJCuQS.jpg

oWEVNwa.jpg

g6NHk8T.jpg

eNpDGOQ.jpg

v0g8uc3.jpg

kiLFYco.jpg

xktWTFq.jpg

Accordx

Reaction score
So clean, hope Selene hasn't been too neglected with the Prelude being your new baby. Haven't seen pics of the Accord or the Camaro in a little while. We need a group picture of all three together haha

Enne

Reaction score
So clean, hope Selene hasn't been too neglected with the Prelude being your new baby. Haven't seen pics of the Accord or the Camaro in a little while. We need a group picture of all three together haha
Oh no, she still gets driven frequently haha. The Camaro has been at the shop for a long time, because I can't afford to pay for all his repairs right now, so they're working on him in between other jobs at the moment. In the mean time he gets to sit in the shop's parking lot for free lol. My dad's friend owns this shop and he is a Camaro guy so I know Harlock is in good hands.

So after frequent driving, the excessive cranking issue is still present though it is not as bad as before. On Saturday I went to start it and I stopped cranking it due to it taking a while, then when I turned the key again I heard a loud, fast clicking/whirring sound which I assume was the starter... If I pump the gas pedal, it helps the car start, though the starting itself is still hard and the entire car shudders when it does.

I went onto a FB page for Preludes and asked these questions and I was given the following answers:

The fuel gauge not moving for the first 150 miles or so, might be the fuel system is too pressurized. Their example was if the gas cap is removed and it makes a "whooshing" sound, as if it is taking in a deep breath, it is likely due to high pressure. This seems to be a common "issue" that doesn't really harm anything. Still kinda bugs me though.

The hard starting/cranking issue could be either the fuel strainer may have come off, the metal tube on the fuel pump may be bent (due to improper reinstallation), and/or the rubber tube on the fuel pump may be rotted out. So I will look into those.

When I get back from my vacation I'm determined to fix this excessive cranking issue. Fuel pump and components, and EGR valve, are next on the list to be replaced. The parts are inexpensive anyway so I might as well.

Last edited:

Enne

Reaction score
So the EGR valve and AC have been replaced/recharged. Before I went on vacation, the muffler had come loose somehow so I also had the shop take a look at that.

The shop told me issue with the muffler was that the weld right at the back of the muffler, where the pipe goes into it, is cracked. They said they couldn't really fix it because the pipe and muffler are a welded assembly. It's not going to fall off, it's just rattling around where the weld rusted away.

Upon further inspection I've found the following:
The muffler on my Prelude is not the welded assembly that the shop thought it was. It is, in fact, a separate muffler and pipe. Probably because of the 4WS gearbox in the rear, that's my guess anyway. See below; a diagram of the exhaust system and a photo of mine. Notice how the diagram says "Optional" parts to the right, which also shows the difference in exhaust tips between the two models (the ones on mine are straight whereas the other has flared ones)... AA and AZ do not have this muffler in stock at the store so I will most likely be ordering from RockAuto. $40 vs $151 for a new muffler, plus less headache installing sounds good to me. Hopefully I can get that clamp off and hopefully the rest will just slide off. That's gonna be the only troublesome part.

I also called the shop and gave them the part number to see if they could possibly get it in before the weekend. Because if I order it online it will not arrive until Monday.

Just a note, the part numbers for this muffler and pipe are WALKER 18262 (muffler) and WALKER 43449 (pipe) with a 1 3/4" clamp to hold them together.

attachment.php

Attachments

• muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Kimbo80

Reaction score
So the EGR valve and AC have been replaced/recharged. Before I went on vacation, the muffler had come loose somehow so I also had the shop take a look at that.

The shop told me issue with the muffler was that the weld right at the back of the muffler, where the pipe goes into it, is cracked. They said they couldn't really fix it because the pipe and muffler are a welded assembly. It's not going to fall off, it's just rattling around where the weld rusted away.

Upon further inspection I've found the following:
The muffler on my Prelude is not the welded assembly that the shop thought it was. It is, in fact, a separate muffler and pipe. Probably because of the 4WS gearbox in the rear, that's my guess anyway. See below; a diagram of the exhaust system and a photo of mine. Notice how the diagram says "Optional" parts to the right, which also shows the difference in exhaust tips between the two models (the ones on mine are straight whereas the other has flared ones)... AA and AZ do not have this muffler in stock at the store so I will most likely be ordering from RockAuto. $40 vs $151 for a new muffler, plus less headache installing sounds good to me. Hopefully I can get that clamp off and hopefully the rest will just slide off. That's gonna be the only troublesome part.

I also called the shop and gave them the part number to see if they could possibly get it in before the weekend. Because if I order it online it will not arrive until Monday.

Just a note, the part numbers for this muffler and pipe are WALKER 18262 (muffler) and WALKER 43449 (pipe) with a 1 3/4" clamp to hold them together.

attachment.php

Try O'Reilly's. I put in those part numbers, and they come up on their system. If your local store's warehouse has it, they can get it to the store same day.

Back