Losing oil????

20Accord01

Reaction score
Well, I have a 01' 4 cylinder with 136K miles. I noticed the last oil change that she looked a little low when I drained it, but wasn't totally sure. I didn't think too much of it at the time. On my way home yesterday from work my CEL came on(it has never been on before) So when I got home I opened the hood and was looking around when I decided to check the dipstick. I noticed that she was very low(about 2 qts) after I added some more I started looking around under the hood and saw no signs of oil leaking and I park in the same spot everyday at my house and there is no oil on the ground. The car is not smoking either.
Is there something I am missing? Does anyone else have this problem with there accords?

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
there are three (3) reasons why your oil maybe low

1) there's an oil leak (which you have ruled out since you've checked)

2) the oil is mixing with the coolant which is a result of a bad head gasket

3) The oil is being burned which is a result of a worn piston ring seal

If the oil is mixing with the coolant, you will see a little white smoke (NOT STEAM) during idle ot when you're driving normally

If the oil is being burned internally, You will see some black smoke when at high RPMs (normally when VTEC is engaged)

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
PS

go to autozone and get the CEL code
It's probably a code that says your oil is low and your car is in "limp" mode and wont allow you to rev past 4K RPM's

20Accord01

Reaction score
PS

go to autozone and get the CEL code
It's probably a code that says your oil is low and your car is in "limp" mode and wont allow you to rev past 4K RPM's

Thanks for the info, I am going to try to get up there sometime this week and have them get the CEL code for me.

Atleast this gives me another reason to tell the wifey I need to do the swap!

cajun

Reaction score
...after I added some more I started looking around under the hood and saw no signs of oil leaking and I park in the same spot everyday at my house and there is no oil on the ground.

Leaks don't always hit the ground. I had a slow valve cover leak on my previous car. The oil would burn on the block. You may need to really check around from all angles/sides.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Leaks don't always hit the ground. I had a slow valve cover leak on my previous car. The oil would burn on the block. You may need to really check around from all angles/sides.

Good point
But loosing 2 qts of oil will leave some traces on the ground
that much oil won't burn off on the block or downpipe without leaving a burning smell and a little smoke from under the hood.
when I used to get my oil changed a little oil (maybe a top full) would get in the downpipe after taking off teh oil filter.
When I start the car and drive, I would get a burning oil smell and see a little smoke from under the hood.
Now that's only from a couple of drops of oil. Imagine if it were a couple of quarts.

I'm thinking it's either a head gasket problem or a piston ring seal.
As Justin has said, I've experienced this so I know what to look for

Unless it's the obvious....Not enough oil is being added which will result in low oil

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
A honda burning oil? whats new?

You should have told us what the check engine light was for. Assuming low oil, but still, get it read.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
It's common for oil to be burned on Honda cars.
Especially on cars with VTEC.
By the times you're ready for an oil change, you should have lost no more than 1 quart of oil if you're an aggressive driver. Under normal driving with some aggressivness it should be less than that
anything more and mechanical work is probably needed

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
It's common for oil to be burned on Honda cars.
Especially on cars with VTEC.
By the times you're ready for an oil change, you should have lost no more than 1 quart of oil if you're an aggressive driver. Under normal driving with some aggressivness it should be less than that
anything more and mechanical work is probably needed

Truth, and well said. That's what happens to mine.

Back