Projekt G23[Rebooted] | [Ended] Euro r H22A

TheEdge

Reaction score
Hello, forum people. I have decided to build a G23 engine for 1998 accord sedan which recently hit Rudolph (a buck) in the canyon road. My main goal is to educate myself on the build process as this is my first honda engine build. All the technical knowledge, research and other build related info is from this community so I wanted to share my experience. I will try to be as detailed as possible and will try to share my pitfalls as I encounter them.

Parts Purchased:

Tools Purchased:

Sears/Craftsman 199 Piece toolkit : $200
Harbor Freight Engine hoist : $100
Pep boys Gear Puller : $30
Air Compressor : $130 Home Depot
Lisle Spill free funnel, #24680 : $30.00 ebay.com

EURO R H22A T2W4 Build Cost:

Apex i WS2 CAT Back Exhaust Kit #116-KH25 : $655 Importrp.com
AEM Gun Metal V2 Induction System #24-6015C: $324 Amazon.com
ATI H22 Street Damper part #918468 : $387 ebay.com
Power Steering Hose + Fittings(-6 AN/JIC), Welds : $100 Local Hose Shop
Power Steering Pump (Used), 98 prelude part : $70 Local salvage shop
Custom radiator support stays: $10 Local machine shop
Wicked Tuning rear camber kit, 98-02 accord, Blue : $85 ebay.com
Load Resistors LED turn signals, 4 x 50W @ 6ohm : $9 ebay.com
LED turn /parking bulbs, 2, 1157 type : $24 ebay.com
Projector headlights CCFL, 1998-02 accord : $162 ebay.com
Bumper clips fastener, 30 qty : $7 ebay.com
Used H22a4 pump, worn out pulley, Leaking seals : $60 ebay.com (JUNK)
98-01 Used Power steering Line, Using just the ends : $60 ebay.com
Steel Clutch Line 92-01 prelude with fittings : $55.00 ebay.com
Mishimoto Rad, Fan shroud, Hose kit, 98-01 prelude : $554 ebay.com

Last edited:

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Re: Projekt G23

Have fun with the build! Would be a very good experience. Have you decided to boost or just NA?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Projekt G23

Good for you man!

I'll be starting mine after the new year, so I'll be watching yours closely.

akoutmos

Reaction score

Another G build......i'm looking forward to this. Good luck!

TheEdge

Reaction score

Have fun with the build! Would be a very good experience. Have you decided to boost or just NA?

NA to start with. Let's see how it works out.

Thanks for the support guys. So far I have drained all the fluids, removed the battery, radiator, AC condenser, AC lines, fans and the radiator support. Took it out using 5/16 th cobalt pilot drill bit on the spot welds. Removed power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor, intake and exhaust manifolds and finally the cylinder head. Separated the automatic transmission harness and the engine harness. Separated the transmission and the cylinder block. Removed the engine mounts and the block itself.

Separated the oil pan, front cover, tensioners, pulleys, gears, oil pump, water pump, water pump tube, block girdle, oil pickup tube with screen and the two balancer shafts.

Removed the rod caps. My first error. For some reason I tried to remove the piston from the bottom of the block after removing the crankshaft and it got stuck with a pinched oil ring. Had to hammer it out was lucky enough not to damage the cylinder walls.

TheEdge

Reaction score

Lesson learnt. Not to do things in a hurry and when tired. The block is off to machine shop for decking and honing. Time to order parts. Wiseco k20 pistons and kaizen balance shaft eliminator, h22 water pump for the cog and finally craigslist for h22 head.

akoutmos

Reaction score

This looks like it's gonna be a nice build. My G23 is currently on hold till the weather heats up a bit :(. Snow and car work outside do not mix.

What compression pistons you gonna go?

TheEdge

Reaction score

This looks like it's gonna be a nice build. My G23 is currently on hold till the weather heats up a bit :(. Snow and car work outside do not mix.

What compression pistons you gonna go?

I ordered the k20 11.7 compression pistons with 3 cc dome. I could not find a definite answer to the fuel octane rating as a factor for determining the piston compression. So l just gambled with figures close for a car to run on 91 octane as daily driver after proper tuning. The four pistons with rings and pins costed me $550.

hahaha38

Reaction score

Wow you compression will be sky high if using the stock f23 rods. Should come close to 12-1:1 using those. Good luck with trying to stay on 91 octane.

Back