lug nuts and breaker bar

datechboss101

Reaction score
Looks, like some douche bag decided to over-tighten/torque the dang lug nuts and I can't get it off even using a breaker bar. So what can i do here? I have sort of a high OCD to keep my car clean, and I need access to the steal rims so I can clean off the brake dust that's on it.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I have wheel cleaner and soapy water and that is my plan to clean it.. Its just some douche bag over torqued the lug nuts... its near impossible to get them off.

You do realize they're torqued up to about 85 ft lbs right? That means you have to really lay into that breaker bar with the car on the ground first. Crack the lugs loose, then jack it up and remove the lugs. Who ever worked on it last probably used an impact wrench to tighten them up, and then followed up with a torque wrench (standard operating procedure).

datechboss101

Reaction score
You do realize they're torqued up to about 85 ft lbs right? That means you have to really lay into that breaker bar with the car on the ground first. Crack the lugs loose, then jack it up and remove the lugs. Who ever worked on it last probably used an impact wrench to tighten them up, and then followed up with a torque wrench (standard operating procedure).

It was probably the tech at Honda who did it. Are you sure that the standard procedure is to use an impact gun and then use a torque wrench? I was able to loosen two-three lug nuts on the Nissan with the breaker bar yesterday, and we only take it to the dealer. And how the heck am I supposed to know how 85 ft lbs is, when I never used a ratchet or anything similar that had the torque numbers on it. I tried using my leg power too btw, so something is messed up.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
It was probably the tech at Honda who did it. Are you sure that the standard procedure is to use an impact gun and then use a torque wrench? I was able to loosen two-three lug nuts on the Nissan with the breaker bar yesterday, and we only take it to the dealer. And how the heck am I supposed to know how 85 ft lbs is, when I never used a ratchet or anything similar that had the torque numbers on it. I tried using my leg power too btw, so something is messed up.

Then it's probably more than 85 ft lbs. You need to put more azz into it. If you can't break them loose now, how are you going to change a flat along side the road?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is always the standard procedure for any vehicle.

Put your purse down and put some muscle into it. I could break em loose when I weighed 150lbs of nothing.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
This is always the standard procedure for any vehicle.

Put your purse down and put some muscle into it. I could break em loose when I weighed 150lbs of nothing.

:henry: Exactly. Hell I used to use those flimsy tire iron/jack handles when I only weighed 135 lbs of nothing. Try that along side the freeway. If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, nothing will.

Accordx

Reaction score
Haha if you really can't get them loose try kicking the breaker bar or hitting it with a hammer if you really have to

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Put some muscle into it or stand on the end of the bar. I quit using a breaker bar since I got a Milwaulkee 1/2" electric impact with 1100ft lbs of break away torque.

Back