coilover recommendations for the street in 2017

Reaction score
Hello, I've been trying to figure out what coilovers to install on my 02 coupe, so I thought I'd join the forum and ask for some recommendations based on experience. I bought the car with function & form coilovers, and they are so stiff, the car feels like it doesn't even have a suspension. I bet if I crept the front wheels over a speed bump, and then accelerated hard I could get the rear of the car airborne over the bump. I want this car to be street driveable, that is just way too stiff. Not to mention living in the midwest, the previous owner did not wash the underside of the car adequately in the winter, so the road salt has corroded the coilovers to the point that they're no longer adjustable either.

Thanks for any help, or recommendations. I currently leaning toward the Tein GSH94-2USS2 street advance coilovers. (NOT the street advance Z version, which seems to be a cheaper version?) What are you guys rolling on?

Reaction score
Yeah, that's kind of why I was or am leaning towards tein, and being made in japan sure doesn't hurt. I had ground controls & revalved bilsteins on my old vtec swapped accord hatch, but the people at ground control infuriated me, I swore I'd never buy anything from them again. They were a little stiffer than the oem setup on my 2011 VW Golf diesel, and that VW was about as stiff as I'll ever go again. Amazingly stiff from the factory. (45mpg though!) Definitely looking for a streetable setup here, the roads aren't that great where I live.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Teins sound like your ticket. I'm on Koni Yellows paired with Ground Control sleeves, 10.7k front/8k rear. Does everything equally well so I have been happy, and there is a lot of dampening/height adjustability.

NSWDoc

Reaction score
Well that makes more sense then. I like being able to run autocross and circuit. LoL!

aeastman1204

Reaction score
Personally I would've suggested Function and Form, but seeing as you're trying to get away from them I would go with the Tiens. I've heard plenty of good things about them, and being made in Japan is nice too.

That being said, I'm looking at getting some Function and Forms for my 2000 V6 coupe but have been putting it off because of other expenses. If you want to let them go after replacing them feel free to shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
My accord came dumped on ground control paired with tokico blues. First whatever you use do not use blues for struts they pretty much are oem spec and will not last. Im about to replace mine with illumina struts as i wont need a conversion to use yellows like i want. I will make a post after i install and ride it for awhile for a update. As for the coilovers they work great despite all four struts being blown, i would use them again as long as its paired to good strut. They handle good in the snow ive been through two winters with it and zero issues with traction. Hope this helps you out.

jypatric

Reaction score
The Tein coilovers are not too stiff. They can improve ride quality.

Back