Tips on where to recycle catalytic converter (specifically Los Angeles area)

autexil

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just changed the catalytic converter in my 99 Accord with about 200k miles on it. I removed the old converter and put in a new Walker direct fit. This is an ULEV model and the old cat is OEM.

I have actually never recycled a cat before. Does anyone know a good place in the Los Angeles area that pays well?

It's my understanding that the cats from ULEV models have higher concentrations of precious metals, i.e. are more valuable. I'm starting to put cash away for a new automatic transmission or rebuild because I have the dreaded slipping.

I've looked at some online spots but would prefer to avoid paying shipping costs. Also if anyone knows how much this ULEV OEM cat would fetch, I would love to have that as a reference when I call around.

Thanks for any tips!

autexil

Reaction score
Thanks for that guy's offer, it does sound enticing except for the shipping, I'm guessing it's going to cost way too much to ship this thing from CA to the east coast.

I'll call around and hopefully get some offers, I'll post back on what shops offered what, maybe that can help someone else in a similar position.

And bairdandrew, you can have it for free if you can rebuild my tranny!

james'99

Reaction score
Thanks for that guy's offer, it does sound enticing except for the shipping, I'm guessing it's going to cost way too much to ship this thing from CA to the east coast.

I'll call around and hopefully get some offers, I'll post back on what shops offered what, maybe that can help someone else in a similar position.

You might try a flat rate box from USPS. Otherwise, I think you'd be spending around $15 or so. I had to return a knuckle I purchased by mistake instead of and upper control arm last year to Majestic Honda and I spent around 15. Much heavier and a bit bigger so...

bairdandrew77

Reaction score

Can and will are 2 different things... I can rebuild it, but won't unless you pay more and ship it to me which might negate any cost savings. Sooo technically, you owe me a free catalytic converter :D just kidding. But yeah that guy mentioned earlier does seem pretty reasonable as long as you can find a cheap way to ship it.

autexil

Reaction score
Well in a nutshell, this didn't really go as I thought it would.

I called/e-mailed a bunch of places in the LA area and literally got no response. I get the feeling that these places were more interested in LOTS of cats (like 10+) than just individual ones.

I then tried two online places, converterguys and the guy mentioned above. Converterguys quoted me 200 but they wanted the cat shipped to them first and they would judge the cat at that point and make the necessary deductions (i.e. 200 is only for a mint mint cat).

I ended up going with the guy because he offered payment upfront before shipping, and he was pretty honest that the cat wasn't going to fetch top dollar (he requested several pics). I ended up getting 125 for it. Unfortunately shipping from LA to NJ through UPS cost $24. Throw in Paypal fee for receiving money and I ended up with just under $100 for it. Still, a $100 more than I had before and it wasn't like I had any use for the cat.

Finally, if you're looking to judge your own cat for recycling value, I learned that if the honeycomb inside the cat is loose and sliding around, don't expect top dollar for it, and be aware that quotes you receive are probably for mint cats, you will realistically receive much less for it.

HTH somebody.

james'99

Reaction score
So the cat you purchased is $175 + gaskets so lets call it $210-$215. Makes a pretty good dent in that expense so regardless, instead of trashing the thing, you mad a few buck. Glad it worked out though.

Back