Big 3-Now car is completly dead

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Did the "BIG 3" Upgrade,used 0 gauge pro wire and screw on terminals.

Car is completely dead reading 4.23volts at battery.

Ground from Neg to Frame.
Ground from Engine block to Frame.
Battery---100ANL----Alt.
**KEPT OEM Grounds intact also**

I took off the battery to Alt. wire and just kept the 2 grounds.
Car is on battery charger now,hopefully I dont need another Optima Redtop-itl be free but hassle taking it to oriellys.(2nd battery)

Any input?

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Do u have another battery u could throw on there?
It's kinda hard to not hook it all up right so I'm thinking the battery is the culprit

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
No this is my 2nd optima(last replaced was last summer due to car sitting all winter in garage)

Yeah everything ran just fine,ONLY my AEM EMS would not start my car last week-had to plug OEM ECU up to move out of garage.Now its dead after sitting for a week.
Think I read the AEM EMS needs almost 14v to crank and operate.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Check the wires you used for resistance using an ohm meter. Should be 0 or miniscule depending on the rating you pick on the meter. As long as you grounded on metal and not painted metal though thatll be fine most likely.

Your battery should be well above 12v. Could be due to sitting to long it died down. Leave it on the charger until it indicates a full charge and retry. If your charger has the option pick the slow charge method. Should read around 12.6/7 I think when full and charger turned off. If it dies down again quickly you may have a parasitic draw or bad battery.

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Its on the charger now.I will check when I get home from work tomorrow and see how long it lasts.Car sits in the garage-but has never had a complete dead battery before.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Its on the charger now.I will check when I get home from work tomorrow and see how long it lasts.Car sits in the garage-but has never had a complete dead battery before.

Only thing that has killed my battery before is the winter plus alarm going off for like an hour in a parking lot. Last time I park close to construction site that kept setting the shock sensor off lol.

In your case, hopefully its just a random case and maybe the battery was down from the repeated tries you did before to swapping ecus as chasing a parasitic draw can be annoying having to go through everything one by one.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you link us the terminals you used and show a picture of how it was crimped? That is the most crucial part of doing the BIG 3 IMO. But I'm not positive if it's related to your weak battery readings. Be sure to sand down the front and back of terminal, the mounting points as well to ensure the top coating is shaved off and it's making a good connection to the mounting points.

gt58

Reaction score
when i did my big 3 i noticed that when i had the terminal on the alternator the connection wasnt solid, it wasnt small enough to fit in that little plastic thing. i filed the plastic peice down so when i hooked everything back up, there was a solid connection going from the alt to the battery

Back