f23 tranny swap trouble

jvillaneda2130

Reaction score
Hey guys Im a new member and recently started doing my own work on my 98 accord sedan with a f23. its been sitting about two months due to transmission failure and financial standing. I do have a wife and three kids to support. I recently bought a jdm transmission for the f23 model from jdm engine pro. it was a reasonable price ($379.00). I just installed yesterday and only had to change two sensors that didn't match from the old usdm tranny to the new (used) jdm tranny. everything bolted up pretty good. I started the car still on jacks added the tranny fluid, but it wont go into third gear. ive tested all the solenoids and they check fine. im running out of options . this is so frustrating being that I just got the jdm tranny a couple days ago. if anyone has some info I'd really appreciate your time and effort.

Last edited:

rooky

Reaction score
Hey dude welcome to our forum, but you didn't state if the tranny is 5 speed or auto. However I do see where you mentioned solenoid so im guessing its an automatic. To troubleshoot this, 1. hook a scan tool and let read the ecu for any code. 2. if a D4 code pops up which shouldn't but if it does this is referring to faulty parts like drive axle etc.. other codes are:
P0700 FAULT IN TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE
P0739 3RD PRESSURE SWITCH
P0780 SWITCH MALFUNCTION
P1751 MECHANICAL FAULT IN HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
all these codes in blue only relates to transmission faults and any parts attach to it like axle, solenoid etc...
Now if there is none of these codes then you have to replace the TCU.

rooky

Reaction score
Its me again, scratch "TCU" I didn't look at you year accord (98) and the ECM and TCU are combined into one unit called a PCM which is located under the center of the dash below the heater unit. I have also research the price of one which is maad expensive to replace much less to get it reprogramme at a dealership. However honda accord auto transmission already have a bad reputation after the 93 models up until 2002. The way they design their oil filter in the tranny gets clogged easily over time and cause the oil to overheat burning up clutches, torque converter and starve synchros. If you should change the ECM dont bother I suspect the tranny you bought is no good.

jvillaneda2130

Reaction score
Thanks for the info rooky . So I've been researching more on the solenoids and it turns out that shift solenoids work together opening and closing to switch gears. In first and second gear their both open, when shifting into third shift solenoid b is supposed to close to give the transmission enough pressure to shift into third. So what I did is revved to 3000 rpm and took solenoid b off and sure enough it went into third gear. And I did then get the d4 blinking with the check engine light on. I had never got that in the beginning so I believe the solenoid is dirty. So I ordered the solenoid because there is no solenoid b within fifty miles of the area I live in. So I'll have it by tomorrow. It was frustrating but I got it now.. I appreciate your time,effort and the info. Thanks!

Back