Car stalling and now has a whine

natedog_37

Reaction score
Bought a gallon of castrol ATF honda type for $20. I don't buy into use the Honda only brand.

Doing this all tonight got to busy with the kids last night.

Let hope this all fixes this issue before I push the POS off the end of the earth ROFL.

Or rip the motor out for a junk yard motor:shakehead:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah...

Why, in detail:

Our a/t is close to a manual. So in drive, it's in 1st gear. Locked solid! As you accelerate, it changes gears. Unlock first, lock in second, etc...

That works, right? It shifts normal?

The next part is the 'Torque Convertor'. Between the engine & transmission. All the power goes through it. Imagine one fan, the engine, facing another, the trans. One blows (fluid in this case) at the other, spinning it, the trans, and thus, the wheels. They will go, or stop. Just blowing.

Then the torque convertor also has a 'lock up clutch'. So it will transfer all the power, and all the speed. So the trans, and wheels can not stop. They're locked. Hense, the lock up clutch. Also turned on at a speed, and turned off below.

But your car stalls, so it doesn't unlock! That is done electronically, to run a solenoid, and hydraulically. So that is several parts. First the pump, second the solenoid, third the clutch.

The pump works, because you have any gears.
The clutch works, or it wouln't stall.

I see the valve. Hanging open, causing the clutch to stay engaged. Sometimes, the solenoid is leaky or gouged to cause this. But that usually makes I stick always. So that leaves that the fluid has crud to make it stick.

If the fluid is not red, it has crud.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
You should really use Honda ATF.

Most are also for Dex or Mercon or something. But those use planetary gears! They are insane! And cool, but not for this.

The Honda AT really is more like an automatically shifted manual than anyone elses. You could probly get away with running ours on 90w than anything that covers others.

natedog_37

Reaction score
Well thinking the car is going to the junk yard.

Car shift fine.

Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, Trans fluid change, water pump, timing, AC compressor, all belts, ISC clean, etc and it still runs like crap at idle, now it will not even run when put in drive.

So done. I have had 10 honda this is by far the biggest POS I have had.

Also all my honda have had after marked fluid and never had a issue. This car after the change shifts better and at speed it is running great it is at idle is sucks.

Going back to the shop if he can't fix it cheap I am selling it to him.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I'd have a look at this:

diagram1.jpg~320x480

But you might need a pro.

natedog_37

Reaction score
Hu will look into that.

Going to check the injectors, and really go over it again. Talk the wife into keeping it and if needed getting the motor rebuilt to what I really wanted. So we will see. Kids have injoyed working on it with me which helped.

Sorry was a little upset and it was 90 deg out when I was working on her so my temper was well in full effect.

Back