EVAP CEL code and cannot fill up fuel tank

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Happy New Year guys!

This is going to be my official first thread so feel free to congratulate me. I recently picked up this bad boy a couple of months ago and have been lurking around the site ever since. I have a '98 LX sedan auto. Anyway. Here is my issue:

I bought the car with an expired inspection sticker and had it checked out by a mechanic that I paid to do so. He found some issues with the car that I have already addressed (brakes, tie rods, etc). Right before I got it inspected the CEL came on. I pulled fuse 13 in the passenger fuse box and the code went away and I passed inspection!! After about 60 mIles or so the code came back. It is code 90 evap leak. I haven't had it scanned it yet just the paperclip method so far. Now I noticed that when I fill up my gas tank, the nozzle wI'll shut off as if my tank is full (when I KNOW it's empty). I did some googling and found that the nozzle has a check valve and shuts off when it senses gas coming back in the nozzle so the customer doesn't contaminate the gas supply at the station. This makes sense and sounds like it's regulated. I have owned a cb7 before this and never had any issues when pumping gas. I do not smell fuel In the cabin, under the hood or near the car at all.

I'm sure one or two of you had experienced both of these issues but I couldn't find your threads with these same concerns.

So to sum it all up:

- CEL Code 90 EVAP leak
- gas nozzle from gas station shuts off/clicks before filling up tank
- if I fill up slowly, then it doesn't shut off as much
- please help!

Thanks for reading!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
The valve shuts off the gas when it builds pressure. So it doesn't vent.

But you have a leak.

That code says it's chacoal canister, so I'd start there. Look for obvious damage.

Can you respond with the 4 digit codes &/or full code descriptions?

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
U
The valve shuts off the gas when it builds pressure. So it doesn't vent.

But you have a leak.

That code says it's chacoal canister, so I'd start there. Look for obvious damage.

Can you respond with the 4 digit codes &/or full code descriptions?

Thank you for the timely response. Please forgive me for getting back to you so late, I've been extremely busy neglecting my car :banghead:

I went to Autozone just now and was helped by a really helpful dude. He even went as far as google searching common causes when I explained the gas pump clicking every 2 seconds.

The code that came up was P1457: EVAP control system leak detected (control canister system)

Autozone's probable causes:
- loose fuel cap
- vapor canister saturated
- failed vent solenoid
- failed purge solenoid

Autozone's computer suggested a charcoal cannister but common sense tells me it's the vent solenoid. My gut is telling me that the two problems (trouble filling up fuel tank & code P1457) are related. If the check valve in the gas pump is causing it to shut off prematurely, then that means the vapors are backing into the gas pump because the vapors dont have anywhete else to go since the vent solenoid is not working.

Thats just my common sense. I'm sure someone on here has experienced this or at least heard of it and can tell me where to go from here.

Since i have a leak, would it be possible that i need to replace both the charcoal canister and the vent solenoid? Or is it one or the other?
Thanks for reading and as always, thank you for your help.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Lots of good info on the p1457 here: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38000&highlight=p1457

Evap leaks are hard to pinpoint, I've had a p1456 that I have not yet identified. Unfortunately it can be a process of elimination at times. If an educated hunch tells you it's the vent solenoid, then try replacing that. If that doesn't fix it, try the next most logical thing. Or you can take the care somewhere and see if a smoke test gets you an answer.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Okay cool. I was thinking that, just wanted someone to agree with me lol. I will replace it tomorrow since I am finally getting 50+ degree weather with sunshine here in NY!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Update:

I replaced the canister vent shut valve as outlined in the above posted thread. 17310-S0X-A0 i went with a dorman valve from rockauto. It was like $25. I also didnt have to replace the canister itself. All of my issues are now gone and all is well.

Thanks guys

Back