DIY Plasti Dipping Rims

Dat99accord

Reaction score
Got bored n decided to make a DIY on plasti dipping rims :gr_grin:
Although I know many people frown upon using plastidip on cars, it's still provides an easy and cheap way to change colors.

Tools:
- 4 or 5 cans of white plastidip
- Water
- Soap
- Microfiber cloth
- Index cards
- OPTIONAL: 2 or 3 cans Glossifier (This is if you want your wheels to shine a bit. For black plastidip, it's harder for the dip to get glossy than the white so you would need more cans of gloss.

rw6neq.jpg

Step 1: Clean the rims using water, soap, and maybe a microfiber/terry cloth. (Make sure it is clean and shiney.)

Step 2: Dry the rims using a microfiber cloth because it doesn't leave any residue. (make sure they are completely dry because this will f*** up your plastidip if you don't dry it completely)

Step 3: Find something (a huge cardboard) and lay it underneath the rim so that you don't paint your ground. (unless you want to)

Step 4: Either tape up or place index cards around the edges of the rim. Like so, covering up the tires so they dip wont get on it.
14wrhx0.jpg

Step 5: Shake up your plastidip can for about a minute. (Make sure you shake it real good.:naughty:) After shaking it, hold the can about a foot away from the surface of the rim. Then spray on lightly, with a side to side motion. After your first coat it should look something like this
f1xzy8.jpg

30c3msl.jpg

Step 6: Ok so after the first coat, this is were it gets time consuming, it is recommend to wait at least 30 mins after your first coat to apply the second coating. Me however, being the person who cant simply wait, continued to spray second layer after 15 mins. So it is up to you if you want to wait. (recommended that you do)

Step 7: So here I began to place in my other wheels so I can dip them, while I waited for the other two rims to dry.
2hs2lig.jpg

Step 8: Ok so after applying about 4 coats of white plastidip and letting them dry out. I then applied my glossifier. Same thing goes with the gloss, you shake, spray, and leave to dry, then continue to add layers of gloss coatings.
2zzrkmt.jpg

Step 9: After 4 coats of white plastidip, and 3 coats of gloss. simply remove the index cards and let it dry.

13ypi6v.jpg

2dc5r3p.jpg

^ DAT GLOSS :drool:

Done! hope you guys like your outcome. :thumbsup:
Oh and to clean it, I use Simple Green. Just spray on the dip, let it settle for about one minute, use a soft brush and start brushing (don't use too much strength), spray it down with water, and done, it should be looking like new.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
That turned out great, I'm thinking of doing some rims soon nice DIY by the way def repin.

agginline86

Reaction score
Awesome, let's see some finished product pics on the car!

+1

I've been considering plasti-dipping my rims gun metal and gloss
after seeing how well these turned out I may be a bit closer to actually doing it haha

Dat99accord

Reaction score
+1

I've been considering plasti-dipping my rims gun metal and gloss
after seeing how well these turned out I may be a bit closer to actually doing it haha

Yeah man go for it. Just be sure to put on gloss, it makes it shiney

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Index card for this diy is not needed, if you add sufficient amount of coats to the wheel, you should be able to peel it off the tire. Nonetheless, the finish product looks great, how coats of glossifier did you use?

Back