vinyl wrapping trunk

chino581991

Reaction score
So I had a few questions about vinyl wrapping. It seems pretty straight forward, at least on something easy like the trunk.

As far as prepping, I just need to clean the surface and take off badges? This is a coupe btw, so also take off the lights?

And then as for applying, I just need a heat gun and some type of squeegee? My understanding is just apply it like you would a screen protector :smash: and also when I wrap it to the backside of the trunk, how much do I need it to wrap around? Just enough so that it'll hold?

Should I also use 2 separate wraps for the top half (above tail lights) and another piece for the bottom half (below lights) or should I just use one piece. I would assume 2 to save vinyl?

Thanks for any tips and helpful advice you guys have

EDIT: This is just something temporary because my trunk is already getting sun damage and I like the look of the CF trunk. I like the look of the shaved CF trunk and will probably get that later down the road, but as for something now and the work required to get done, the wrap seems more practical

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
There are a couple of members who have done this type of work.

With the Coupe trunk, you don't need to wrap the underside very far, and you will probably want to look in to a quality adhesive to make sure it stays put/smooth.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Double check your measurements, and make sure you leave enough room to wrap around to the inside, you can always trim it down. When it comes to looks, the less pieces used, the better. But for some places that may not be able to be helped. You're just doing the trunk though, so I think as long as you take your time, buy a quality vinyl sheet and adhesive, you should be good.

I'm sure there's plenty of info on this process on some other sites, and there's got to be some tutorials on YouBewb.

chino581991

Reaction score
There are a couple of members who have done this type of work.

With the Coupe trunk, you don't need to wrap the underside very far, and you will probably want to look in to a quality adhesive to make sure it stays put/smooth.

Thanks for the response, yea I figured it would be pretty straight forward. When you say quality adhesive, you mean get a good branded vinyl such as 3M? Or do you mean along with the adhesive that's already on the vinyl, get something to help the adhesive to stay better?

chino581991

Reaction score
Double check your measurements, and make sure you leave enough room to wrap around to the inside, you can always trim it down. When it comes to looks, the less pieces used, the better. But for some places that may not be able to be helped. You're just doing the trunk though, so I think as long as you take your time, buy a quality vinyl sheet and adhesive, you should be good.

I'm sure there's plenty of info on this process on some other sites, and there's got to be some tutorials on YouBewb.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely be taking my time doing this. As for vinyl sheet and adhesive, do you have any to recommend in paticular?

1radaccord

Reaction score
I wrapped the hood roof and trunk in my car myself.. its not bad pretty easy if you use good quality vinyl.. I used 3M Di-Noc carbon definitely have enough vinyl to wrap around to the inside!

Back