Engine sputters and stalls on startup then runs fine

EF-Jordan

Reaction score
So this is my 3rd 6GA and 2 of them have done it. First off it's a 2002 Accord EX V6 with 190k. When I try starting it i need to give it gas and it'll be missing. If I let off the gas it dies. So I have to put it in drive while keeping it idling. Most of the time it goes away after driving < a mile. But there is no CEL, not even a misfire and it most definitely is.

Was thinking maybe a cam or crank position sensor but wanted to ask before I start spending money.

james'99

Reaction score
Clean your IACV which should be on the bottom of the throttle body I believe on the V6. See where that gets you. What makes you think there is a misfire?

EF-Jordan

Reaction score
Because it's misfiring. Sounds pretty bad. On my Old accord I'd get misfire codes but this one just sits there and pops and bangs but without any code. Weird

jhowarx3

Reaction score
I do have the same problem with my car, and I need help because the car is getting worst everyday. I do not understand where that come from. And no mecanic in my town can't find the problem. Need help!!!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Get a video of it.

Any problems once it is warm?

Does your check engine light come on when you first turn the key to 'ON', before you start it?

I'm thinking IACV or EGR, so I'd pull & clean them and inspecting for damage.

jhowarx3

Reaction score
The check engine it does not come out, and the engine start to jumped really hard when you try to acelerated. And then everytime I stopped in a stop sing, when I pushed tue gas the car start to jumped and then got fine. Also, I already check the EGR and IACV and the mecanics says it's good. So i do not.

james'99

Reaction score
Does your CEL test when you turn the key on before you start the car? I'm confused as to why the TCS light would be on if there is no CEL.

Have you serviced your main relay?

jhowarx3

Reaction score
Yes I did the cell test, and the TCS lighs always come out when the car do this. However, I didn't service the main relay yet.

Back