Rusty Accords 97 5th gen Sedan LX w/F22B2 and 5 speed (56K)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Body: Stock. Mud flaps added, otherwise no mods. Color is Eucalyptus Green Pearl.

Engine: Stock with a full tune up with timing belt and tensioners done about 1500 miles ago (May 2016). Also got a new Felpro valve cover gasket and new "O" rings for the spark plug tubes (oil leak fixed).

Suspension: No mods.

Interior: Stock, no mods, just cleaned up as it was filthy. On the plus side, it had a 15 pack of Bud in the trunk. Took out the aftermarket CD player and re-installed the stock Honda unit as it worked.

Cosmetic: Has the worn down tires off my 99, with freshly painted hub caps. Has stock sized 195-65-15's on it.

Future plans are to sell it. It's had some work done to it, as the day after I bought it, it wouldn't start. Fuel tank was dropped and a new Denso pump was installed. Has a spare ECU (that didn't fix the problem), and both the clutch master and slave cylinders have been replaced (had a leaky master cylinder) but then it did have 234K on them. It's had the exhaust from the cat back (new Bosal kit from Rock Auto and it's very quiet) replaced. Both sensors by the crank have been replaced as well. The entire fuel system has been checked over and I finally got the injectors to work (had no power to the injector resistor pack). This was my first 5 speed Honda, and it's nice, but I prefer my 6th gen. It rides nice and everything works (bonus). I don't have a lot of miles on this car due to owning several others, and I can't drive ém all at the same time.
Here's a pic of it with my 99 and my wife's 00 in the background, along with other cars on the property (you should see the backyard for more).:facepalm:
2v34l75.jpg

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Well, since I was out shooting pics today, I thought I'd add a couple to this thread. These are pics of the F22B2 16 valve non-VTEC engine. It's actually kind of crowded in there compared to a 6th gen engine bay. Enjoy.
vne1on.jpg

xgedz9.jpg

I'll try to add to this thread as I go, but don't expect a lot, as it really only needs to be driven.:henry:

Connie

Reaction score
Nice pine needles.

It looks really good under the hood, especially considering its age and mileage. Amazing how much things can change between generations.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I like seeing the 5th gen next to the 6th gen, the progression of history is always intriguing to me in the history that is written by the progression or deprogressing threw engineering.

You got some cool cars on your hands Rusty :)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Nice pine needles.

It looks really good under the hood, especially considering its age and mileage. Amazing how much things can change between generations.

The last couple of wind storms didn't help keep them out. You can also see them all over the ground too, as I have a line of pine trees along that side of the driveway. Doesn't help that I park under a pine tree right there, but it does keep a good chunk of the snow off it. But yeah it's actually fairly clean. The PO didn't drive it on his dirt road very much (about 2 months), so that was a help, plus I power washed the bottom of it back in May or June of last year. I expected to see more rust than I did, especially when I was in there dropping the tank to change the pump.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I like seeing the 5th gen next to the 6th gen, the progression of history is always intriguing to me in the history that is written by the progression or deprogressing threw engineering.

You got some cool cars on your hands Rusty :)

There's just enough difference between that you know you're not driving a 5th or a 6th at the time. You seem to sit lower in the 5th gen, the stock shifter is shorter and tighter between throws, the odometer is still rolling numbers (not digital), the layout of the dash is slightly reversed, but seems kind of squashed compared to the 6th gen. The center part of the dash is a mix of 5th and 6th gen, but seems more compacted, as the console seems more taller (might only seem like that as you sit lower in the car) where it meets the center dash. But the thing I notice most is that the roof/headliner area seems smaller (more narrow)than the 6th gen. It's like the top of the car tapers inward, giving it a smaller feeling cabin (well it is 3 cu ft smaller than a 6th gen).
Under the hood things are similar, yet different. Since it's an F22B2, it's a non-VTEC engine, so it doesn't have the VTEC solenoid on it. But, it also seems that the engine bay is narrower due to placement of the inner fender sheetmetal versus location of the engine. Having done a timing belt on both a 5th and 6th gen before, I can honestly say there's more room on the 6th gen (not much but a little bit more). Also the way things are layed out in the bay makes it seem cramped. There's other things too like how the clutch line is routed around the engine and all the spare gaps it's tucked into. This is compared to my 99, which seems more out in the open and easily accessible. The injectors also use a resistor pack (not as hi flowing as the 6th gen) to reduce the resistance time the injector is open. I think they're called a "low impedence" injector (similar to what 2 of the air cooled VW's in my yard use). They flow good numbers, but just at lower voltages. It's also a non-ABS car, so it doesn't have the ABS unit taking up space under the hood (like my 99).

Back