Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Garage > DIY - Do It Yourself Forum

DIY - Do It Yourself Forum We have a lot of threads on how to do things yourself, from air intakes to suspension, brakes, even electronics. Please search first, if you can't find an article about what you're wanting to do just ask for help

Register to remove these ads

Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Points: 1,857, Level: 12 Points: 1,857, Level: 12 Points: 1,857, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

sirruph is somewhat reliable
steering wheel mod under $20

ok, guys, before i start - i'm a poor european student, so please no jokes on my english

the beginning

i've arrived to Texas with a big hopes, dreams and a $3k in hand to buy a car. two weeks lates i was a happy owner of 2001 coupe LX. mechanical stuff apart, the only thing that bothered me was the steering wheel: it was thin, ugly, sun damaged and, well, it was not a pleasant thing to touch

the Project

after a brief research i knew about the acura swap option, but prices from $60 on ebay for a really bad ones left me no choice but to ditch this idea.
inspired by my previous car (civic type R FN2) and its steering wheel

i've bought the $4.99 floor mat from ROSS and a $8.99 vynil pseudo-perforated upholstery from ebay. with taxes and delivery it came up at grand total of exactly 20 bucks

ready... steady... GO!

first Ė Iíve decided to cut the damaged part rather than trying to restore it

second Ė Iíve sliced the floor mat and begin to gain the necessary thickness by sewing layer after layer

well, Iím lazy, so after the first layer I decided just fasten it

when the desired thickness was reached, Iíve leveled it up with some layers of electric tape (the duct tape, probably, would be better, but as was stated Ė Iím a lazy person and the electric tape was just there)

third Ė the layer or mat across the whole wheel should in theory eliminate the problem with the thinness of it

and it did. in fact, the material was so pleasant that I drove it that way for a couple of days and even considered the option to embrace my laziness and leave it that way and call it abstract art or fusion style. again, the electrical tape to level the edges of the spokes

final stage

and the anal stuff begins
I've used the two needles technique in order to get an even and smooth stiches. unfortunately, I had only thin threads, so I had to quadruple them in order to get the strong enough thread. that was PITA. but Iím dedicated, stubborn and have a lot of free time, ahaha

electrical tape helped me to temporary fixate the spokes parts while I was done with the wheel
as for my biased opinion Ė I did pretty good

and then Ė BAM! my laziness strikes again. I found the small tube of glue at home and tired from all the stitching I just decide to glue the spoke-parts. well, it went better than Iíve expected, but not as good as I thought it could be

anyway, comparing to what Iíve started with, Iím more than pleased with myself. and keeping in mind that it was maybe the second time in my life Iíve hold the needle and a thread in my heads Ė hell yeah, Iím super pleased with the results!

if you decide to go along with this mod, I have a few tips:
- sewing on the disassembled steering wheel will be a 1000000000 times easier (and, eventually, neater)
- check the direction of your upholstery stretches. it tend to stretch a lot in one direction and almost doesnít stretches in the other
- use glue with caution. although, the most usual cyanoacrylate hold the upholstery on the wheel perfectly

aftermath

so far Iíve done couple of weeks on my new steering wheel and havenít spotted any flaws. it is beefy enough and the resemblance with the FN2 steering wheel is uncanny (which also raises the question about the quality of materials used for production in Hondaís models. because it was THE CHEAPIEST upholstery I could find on ebay)

anyway, Iíve got enough upholstery for another 4 or even 5 steering wheels, and since Iím now an experienced seamstress Ö Iím open to your offers, ahaha

cheers
Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Points: 2,109, Level: 12 Points: 2,109, Level: 12 Points: 2,109, Level: 12

Silver99 is somewhat reliable
Re: steering wheel mod under $20

This is awesome. I cannot believe that you aren't experienced with sewing. Good job
Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 PM
purp og

Points: 117,436, Level: 100 Points: 117,436, Level: 100 Points: 117,436, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Sketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to all
Member Photo Albums

that came out pretty good. nice work
Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Points: 7,121, Level: 25 Points: 7,121, Level: 25 Points: 7,121, Level: 25

Jordan_H is somewhat reliable
Member Photo Albums

Looks good. If my steering wheel wasn't already in good condition I would consider this.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 AM
Points: 8,072, Level: 26 Points: 8,072, Level: 26 Points: 8,072, Level: 26
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

604ACCORD is more helpful than most
Member Photo Albums

When I saw the pic of it all carpeted I laughed I thought that was it. When I scrolled down and saw the finished product I was amazed nice work man it turned out really good, props for the job well done... rags to riches
Old 11-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Points: 1,857, Level: 12 Points: 1,857, Level: 12 Points: 1,857, Level: 12

sirruph is somewhat reliable

Originally Posted by 604ACCORD View Post
When I saw the pic of it all carpeted I laughed I thought that was it. When I scrolled down and saw the finished product I was amazed nice work man it turned out really good, props for the job well done... rags to riches
believe it or not - it was SO GOOD on the "carpet" stage. soft and nice to touch. almost like the alcantara, ahahahaha
Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Be a better driver

Points: 71,867, Level: 83 Points: 71,867, Level: 83 Points: 71,867, Level: 83
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

RedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit together
Member Photo Albums

I have to admit I was skeptical at the beginning, but you wrapped up this project pretty well. You even lined up the perforations on the different pieces where they meet, nice job.

The only criticism I can think of is it would look even better if the material was adhered somehow on the four parts where the airbag and wheel intersect. But in the last pic the wrinkles on those sections aren't very noticeable.

Last edited by RedRyder; 11-12-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Points: 2,559, Level: 14 Points: 2,559, Level: 14 Points: 2,559, Level: 14

f23.Tetsusaiga is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm impressed, I thought the same thing 604ACCORD said though, thought you were finished with the carpeting, hahaha. I for one think the steering wheel is huge (in diameter) to begin with heh. Nonetheless man, I like the way you solved your problem, good job!

Old 11-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Points: 8,072, Level: 26 Points: 8,072, Level: 26 Points: 8,072, Level: 26
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

604ACCORD is more helpful than most
Member Photo Albums

I got my TL-S wheels for 20 bucks and put my oem airbag back in color is different but I'll get a black center soon or go to a nardi wheel
Old 11-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Points: 3,090, Level: 16 Points: 3,090, Level: 16 Points: 3,090, Level: 16

Teesak is an unknown quantity at this point

nice work it came out looking good! Ingenious way of fixing the mucked up part on the top of the wheel.