2018 Honda Accord Previewed, Drops V6 In Favor Of Type R Turbo Engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_NSsUeB3c

2018-Honda-Accord-2.jpg

2018-Honda-Accord-4.jpg

2018-Honda-Accord-5.jpg

2018-Honda-Accord-7.jpg

Gradfien

Reaction score
Not a fan, I want a v6 turbo 6spd awd I must be too old school. If honda put all there tech into making a turbo v6 I think we could've had a 600 hp monster years ago.
If it's still over 300hp with a manual option i guess its pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
am i the only one who actually likes the fact tht Honda is going back to their 4 bangers? :lawl:

Honda's know-how lies within the 4 cylinder motors... incorporate turbo into the equation and u get as much power as the v6 (if not more), efficiency, and weight savings.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
notice the complete lack of numbers on that torque graph? :lawl: there's a reason for that. i don't even want to know how much heavier the car will be as well. and a ten speed auto too? honda must just be looking for problems. i'd stay far away from the first generation or two of these :ugh: a 2.0L turbo would've been good in something like a 6th gen, not in these heavy behemoths they crank out these days. i bet they won't even have a manual option either.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If they were dropping in the Type R motor as is, then I might be more excited. But I've read it will be detuned and if mated to a 10spd auto, quite a bore. They made one of the best V6 engines around, tragic they quit giving the V6 sedan a manual transmission. Even worse it will be the only car in its segment that doesn't offer one. But I read somewhere only 10% of buyers were choosing a 6cyl so I get it, such is the way of the auto industry and the continual neutering of the car.

Part of the V6 elimination might be because the Accord was also taking away sales from the TLX. And with good reason, it looked better, had a better drivetrain, and was cheaper. Btw Acura brought back the Aspec trim for the facelifted TLX, but too bad it looks even worse than before.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
all kinds of noobery in this thread :lawl:

am i the only one who actually likes the fact tht Honda is going back to their 4 bangers? :lawl:

Honda's know-how lies within the 4 cylinder motors... incorporate turbo into the equation and u get as much power as the v6 (if not more), efficiency, and weight savings.
it's not as if honda started as a motorcycle company and have campaigned F1 cars.

wait...
notice the complete lack of numbers on that torque graph? :lawl: there's a reason for that. i don't even want to know how much heavier the car will be as well. and a ten speed auto too? honda must just be looking for problems. i'd stay far away from the first generation or two of these :ugh: a 2.0L turbo would've been good in something like a 6th gen, not in these heavy behemoths they crank out these days. i bet they won't even have a manual option either.
the 10th gen civic Si is lighter than the 9th, you can believe they will be using the same techniques to keep the weight down on the accord. a 6th gen is ~400lbs lighter than a 9th and that's a 15 year gap between models with significantly more features and safety. the front seat in my 8.5 weighs probably 90lbs alone, the 6th gen's was like 45. but it wasn't memory/power (aside from up and down), heated, nor did it have an airbag. there's 10% of the weight difference between gens :lawl:

i said in the shouthread they were offering 6 speeds with both the 1.5 and 2.0 engines :eh: bruh :lawl:
If they were dropping in the Type R motor as is, then I might be more excited. But I've read it will be detuned and if mated to a 10spd auto, quite a bore. They made one of the best V6 engines around, tragic they quit giving the sedan a manual transmission. Even worse it will be the only car in its segment that doesn't offer one. But I read somewhere only 10% of buyers were choosing a 6cyl so I get it, such is the way of the auto industry and the continual neutering of the car.

Part of the V6 elimination might be because the Accord was also taking away sales from the TLX. And with good reason, it looked better, had a better drivetrain, and was cheaper. Btw Acura brought back the Aspec trim for the facelifted TLX, but too bad it looks even worse than before.
the sedan is getting manuals for both engines. the bigger issue is...they haven't said if a coupe will be produced. V6s had a 10% take rate, manuals had a 5%-ish take rate, and the coupe body was nearer 2-3%.

i'm excited they're dropping the type r engine in, because it's possible it's just a tune and intake/exhaust away from type r power. just look at what the ecoboost line has done in fords...people are chipping fusions and escapes for nice gains. then you can go deeper...if cams work in the type r, they'll work in the accord. turbo upgrades may interchange minus piping. you'll need to crack open the trans to put in an LSD, though.

as big of a fan of the J series as i am, there's just nooooooooooooooo comparing it to the parts bin the K series has. now with the L series turbo, lots of development will cross over. at least, i am optimistic this will happen. it won't be "awww i have a longer-stroke-lower-revving K24 in my accord instead of the glorious K20Z3," it'll be almost the same engine hopefully.

my opinion on acura is they have no idea what they're doing aside from wanting the flagship NSX and--of course--a popular SUV in the MDX. the TLX is a nice package on the surface, the RLX is pretty sweet if you don't need a merc or bmw badge...but then the ZDX was an absolute failure, the ILX no one bought because it's not an integra, and they have no friggin clue why people are buying GTIs or leasing base 3 series instead of stopping in to their store.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
wait...i said in the shouthread they were offering 6 speeds with both the 1.5 and 2.0 engines :eh: bruh :lawl:

you know...this memory stuff :lawl: i do remember that now that you mention it though haha. hopefully they do keep the weight down too, they're just getting too big, and without the torque from a v6, a low torque 2L turbo wouldn't be too enjoyable, no matter what the curve is. however enjoyable a people mover commuter car can be :lawl:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
aside from the front end and beltline of the car getting taller for safety standards, my coupe has the same outside dimensions as the 6th gen sedan within about 2". obviously, the 8th is bigger and looks bigger but the dimensions are actually really close. ironically, my dad said his '03 TL was 6" or 8" longer than my 6th gen when we had those cars at the same time. the extra nose on the front of that car was really noticeable.

i've said all that in the shouthread, also :lawl: b r u h :jae:

the irony continues since people have been saying for years that honda was being left behind because they weren't putting turbos on anything but the RDX. people were saying for years that more torque was needed and people weren't interested in wringing an engine out to redline to get it moving.

now that honda has answered the call, everyone wants the torque-free 8k redline engines back suddenly :shrug: the 1.5T can hit ~250whp/175wtq fairly easily, although it gives up in the higher revs like all the other small displacement/small turbo cars out there. stock J35s with a 6 speed make 240/220 at the wheels if i remember right.

Accordx

Reaction score
I can't wait for the full reveal (I think it's on 7/14). I like the idea of a turbo 4 cyl, but I also like my vtec so idk yet, maybe it'll have a type r type of thing but then vtec doesn't really kick lol :shrug: either way it'll be cool, turbo will probably grow on me haha.

Back