So I might be trading Frankenstein, thoughts?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i'd just keep what you already have, not that i think saabs are bad cars, from what i've heard they're great, but as stated, the unknown is a big unknown here :lawl: if you really want to get a new car, get it when you want, on your terms...not trade away your car for something you know nothing about just because the other guy wants to get rid of his car right now.

if i had a saab with 180k on it, i'd be looking to get rid of it too :lawl:

capsidx

Reaction score
If I had the cash I would for sure. But I guess everyone has a good point. Trading a car that I know is solid for one I think is solid isn’t very practical. With my luck I’d say no to the trade and seize another bearing on the way to work :lawl: I was actually the one who put up the listing and since then I’ve gotten offers for 1000 bucks, a 2001 gti turbo and the Saab. All were a no but maybe if I knew more about the condition of the engine it would be definitive. But complete disassembly isn’t very practical or cheap.

capsidx

Reaction score
I said no before I even saw a picture [emoji28]. I waned the Saab for the interior but honestly once I retrofit the tl dashboard onto the cg I should be ok :lawl: He’s been cool about it so I may just let him know that too much work has been done to the car and I know for a fact it’s solid and has low miles. Can’t say the same for the Saab. Knowing me I’ll come back next week and post a new car thread :lawl:

capsidx

Reaction score
Alright. Told him this morning I’m keeping the car. There’s too many unknown things at this point and I can’t afford to take that risk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Maybe not the fun decision, but the smart one which you can feel good about. There's always another car out there.

capsidx

Reaction score
No I think trading isn’t really a good idea. As everyone pointed out, there’s no way to be sure of the condition of the engine without disassembly. At least for me. The biggest things are the rods, pistons and more importantly the cylinder walls and bearings. Those have to come out to check. Not to mention I would have had to drop the gas tank to switch out the fuel level sender. Most cars (unlike the cg) didn’t have an access plate you could easily get to. I can change my fuel pump on my cg in less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn’t want to do that to a car I just got. Also since it had triple the estimated mileage my motor has I can’t feel confident that something won’t break. I’ve been taking it easy on this motor because well quite frankly getting on it all the time and racing anything that tries to pass you is stupid. Since then I’ve put in all the parts I left out of the old engine that weren’t necessary to drive the car but still were. Like the o2 sensor. Since the sir t had a 13 gallon tank it got great gas mileage. Since the cg has a 17 gallon tank I’ve been getting about 400 miles out of a tank which is better than my girlfriends corolla. I think the smart choice was in front of me the whole time, I just couldn’t see it because I wanted something new. If I want a turbo car I already have..... a ...... good....... platform, time to research :lawl: thanks for all the advice dudes

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
No I think trading isn’t really a good idea. As everyone pointed out, there’s no way to be sure of the condition of the engine without disassembly. At least for me. The biggest things are the rods, pistons and more importantly the cylinder walls and bearings. Those have to come out to check. Not to mention I would have had to drop the gas tank to switch out the fuel level sender. Most cars (unlike the cg) didn’t have an access plate you could easily get to. I can change my fuel pump on my cg in less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn’t want to do that to a car I just got. Also since it had triple the estimated mileage my motor has I can’t feel confident that something won’t break. I’ve been taking it easy on this motor because well quite frankly getting on it all the time and racing anything that tries to pass you is stupid. Since then I’ve put in all the parts I left out of the old engine that weren’t necessary to drive the car but still were. Like the o2 sensor. Since the sir t had a 13 gallon tank it got great gas mileage. Since the cg has a 17 gallon tank I’ve been getting about 400 miles out of a tank which is better than my girlfriends corolla. I think the smart choice was in front of me the whole time, I just couldn’t see it because I wanted something new. If I want a turbo car I already have..... a ...... good....... platform, time to research :lawl: thanks for all the advice dudes

Sounds like someone was thinking about pegging the tach, and was worried about a rod letting go. ;) Or maybe it was putting it in the wrong gear and over reving it.:shrug: But yes, after having 2 engines let go, I think I'd be nervous of an unknown engine as well.
As for dropping the tank to access the fuel pump, you've never worked on a pre-98 Honda Accord. My 97 Accord even has a drain plug built into the bottom of the tank, but you still have to drop it. Also, the 6th gen (like the 5th gen), has an 18 gallon fuel tank. But getting 400 miles per tank is pretty good. Are you running it below 1/4 tank?
It's about time you got that "street racer" out of your system. These cars weren't designed to be street racers (too damn heavy), but rather were nice cruisers, designed with extra mounting points for car seats in the rear. They were favorites of soccer moms back when they were new after all.:ughrun: Designed to haul kids and groceries, and maybe even a dog too in comfort found on more expensive cars. :) This means if you can't haul your son around in your 6th gen, then it has to be operator error.:henry:
But with what you've dumped into your 6th gen, I wouldn't trade it for a high mileage Saab either. Your last engine swap would have been close to his asking price alone. Add in you already know what your car needs or better yet doesn't need is important.
Since you've gotten this part out of your system, you can now work on your cosmetics. :)

Back