Doing the big 3 wire upgrade on my car

guytv

Reaction score
I need some help on doing the big 3 wiring upgrade on my car. I am buying this kit http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_86030_Belva-BBG3KT.html

I searched the forums and read about it on this forum:
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487&highlight=big+upgrade&page=22

The forum mostly showed 4 cylinders, but I have a v6. There are some pics showing the upgrade for the v6 but it is miss one part and that happens to be the part I need help on. I see how to do battery negative to ground and engine to chassis, but how do I do the alternator to battery positive? I am not sure which wire it is I need to upgrade. I don't want to make a mistake.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
For the big three upgrade there really is no need to buy a kit. All you need is 4 gauge wire and ring lugs.

The battery - to chassis simply connects the battery negative to the chassis. You can reuse the factory ground location but make sure to sand it clean to shiny metal for a good connection. I always spray it with a rubber paint to protect against corrosion.

The alternator will have a bolt on it with a single wire coming usually attached with a nut. You are making a lead from the alternator positive post terminal to the battery positive. I always recommend making another negative lead from the alternator case to the battery negative. While the car is running the alternator case is the actual negative/ground.

Don't make this harder than it looks. Think if it as adding lanes to a highway. Freeing up resistance. If you look carefully you will see ground strap from the engine block to the chassis. Upgrade these as well. Electrical takes ALL paths not just the paths of least resistance. Free up some flow and let that power flow.

guytv

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm buying a kit because it makes it easier for me. It comes with everything.

But if it will cause less to not buy the kit then I am open for suggestions.:waytogo:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Not only will it cost less but the value will be greater. With the kit you are limited to three electrical upgrades. If you bought a single length of wire and cut it to the length you need you and upgrade more ground paths thus lowering the overall electrical resistance.

That kit does not have a lead for grounding the alternator case to the battery negative

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
As far as what the kit contains. Reading the details explains the kit ONLY INCLUDES 12 feet of aluminum cooper clad 1/0 wire.

4 gauge COPPER wire is plenty for a 1000 true watts of power. I'm taking real physical power not overinflated 1200 watt amps for 100 dollars

Last edited:

guytv

Reaction score
yeah I think I might go that route. I'm trying to see if I can buy everything I need for under $30. I looked around the engine bay and seen that the grounding wires are shorts. So, I see that I can replace many of the wires for a little bit of money.

I see a cable that goes from the alternator to the fuse box. Is that the one I need to upgrade?

Last edited:

guytv

Reaction score
As far as what the kit contains. Reading the details explains the kit ONLY INCLUDES 12 feet of aluminum cooper clad 1/0 wire.

4 gauge COPPER wire is plenty for a 1000 true watts of power. I'm taking real physical power not overinflated 1200 watt amps for 100 dollars

I see alot of people saying to use a 1/0 wire on the forums. So a full copper wire that is 4 gauge is greater than or equal to using a 1/0 CCA wire?

604ACCORD

Reaction score
1/0g is not needed, 4g will be fine also cheaper than 1/0g. If you want to do it cheap just go to a stereo store buy wire by the foot and ask them if they have the connectors might even just give them to ya. Start small maybe buy like 5 feet do as much as u can if u need more then grab it also grab a bag of zip ties. I upgraded all my oem to 4g did not do the alternator though. I'm running a 1000 watt mono alpine amp (at 4ohm though) have no issues it did help with the lights dimming. I also added 2 extra grounds one to shock tower and one to engine.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
The alternator wire to fuse box wire will not be upgraded but rather add another lead straight from the alternator to the battery positive. This is the most crucial part of the big three upgrade.

1/0 is not needed unless you have a custom high output alternator.

What you can do is find a local audio store and ask to buy their scrap wire. They should have a box full of 3-5 foot pieces from all the amp kits they put in. These should be highly discounted. This is how upgraded all my grounds for super cheap.

Back